Relocating chickens; Garden or Allotment

• 4 Replies

Honey65

Relocating chickens; Garden or Allotment
« on: April 23, 2015, 19:09 »
We've had chickens in our garden for a few years now but I'm thinking of moving our chickens... Can I canvas opinion?

On work days when we are out they are in a walk in run (3m x 2x) on our patio filled with hardwood chips.  They hate staying in and get quite shouty about being kept in.   When we are home they free range round the garden. 
Pros
* Run is easy to clean
* Don't have to plodge across grass / mud in winter
* Totally fox proof run
* They love free ranging
Cons
* poo all over garden / loads of flies
* Squawking in morning annoys neighbours
* Hardwood chips work out expensive as need changing after 3-4 months
* The new girls are eating all my nice plants  >:(

My reason for moving them is basically so we can have a garden back - the kids used to love doing cartwheels and walking barefooted in the summer, and also its REALLY irritating being woken up at 7am by squawking  :(

My options are:
1. Move them to our allotment (5 mins away from house)
2. Move them to bottom of garden and fence a section off to allow semi free ranging when we're at home

The allotment could be a good move as they could help cultivate the massively overgrown bits but we work full time so we'd have to visit morning and night and keep they in the walk in run.  I would extend the run though to give them more room.  Its pretty fox proof - anti dig skirt etc but not as much as on concrete.

End of garden would still mean flies and a slightly less fox proof run is it would be on soft ground, but very convenient. 

What do you think?

8doubles

Re: Relocating chickens; Garden or Allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 19:18 »
Home !

A trip to the allotment twice a day in all weathers especially if you have a lot of things to do will soon make you realise how much easier they are to look after and keep an eye on at home. :)

grinling

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 19:31 »
I had my originals at the allotment, 15 min walk. Summer nice, rain not nice and winter a nightmare esp as water freezes.
I have mine on a concrete base at home (moved house), they free range,I poo pick,but in summer, they can be locked in with a paddling pool dustbath, so children free range in the garden. They do moan, but get ignored.
How many do you have?
I don't have anything on the concrete, so house and pool gets taken out and area hosed, but will brush area weekly.

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 20:33 »
We did have ours on paving slabs (since moved & they're currently on patio) we're
Moving them down the garden soon & building a bigger run as they can't free range here, the idiots a few doors down feed the foxes - grr.  It'll be soft ground but we'll probably put the run on paving slabs or on a wall of breeze blocks to level it (on slope & if anyone has a better idea let me know!) I want to do the deep litter method. Tbh I can't think of anything worse than trudging to the allotment twice a day (well I can, but you know what I mean  :wub: )

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 20:34 »
Also, I found Stalosan F helps with flies/smell

xx
Relocating the coop for the summer.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 08:07
by Rubellite
xx
chickens or garden!!!

Started by bubbles108 on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post February 15, 2012, 19:16
by ChristyRose
xx
Chickens in the Garden?

Started by Dawnte on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 12:47
by joyfull
xx
Re: garden but no chickens

Started by seaweed king on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 03, 2009, 22:22
by Vember

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 38 queries.