It's bind weed season.

• 23 Replies

Lardman

It's bind weed season.
« on: April 20, 2015, 18:35 »
8 seasons I've been trying to get rid of it  :mad:

It's all in the raspberry bed 2-3 inches high already, last year I took to coating it in weedkiller and wall paper paste but if anything it seems to be back even stronger. Its impossible to dig out properly and just wanders back in from next door, either under or round the gravel boards.

It seems to laugh at round-up does anyone know if there's anything specific it really doesn't like?

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: It's bind weed season.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 20:00 »
If you find out let me know! I may break my organic rules for that one weed! My plot was riddled with the stuff 3 years ago and although I dug a lot out by hand it is still around.
I find that weeding it just after it has rained helps as I gently pull each small piece out and because the roots are shallow they come out with it (but is more time consuming than just hoeing)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 20:00 »
Hate hate hate this stuff. I have finally managed to eradicate it from my beds, but it loves to climb in between the barriers my neighbours and I have at the edges. My carrot bed is also full of it. I am not fighting it anymore and on the second year of full cover up with black polythene.

My friend actually encourages his in his garden! He places caned for it to climb up.  He says its a no hassle plant (and he's a gardener!) I guess he's right about that though.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Beekissed

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 05:26 »
We call those morning glories over here and we like them!  Will plant them intentionally.  I love to see them climbing up the sweet corn. 

I'll trade you some bindweed for some of my chocolate mint...talk about a monster!   :nowink:

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 07:06 »
Have you tried letting it grow up a cane then either coating all the leaves with roundup or mixing a solution up putting it in a jam jar on its side & stuffing the plant in the solution so it takes more of the weedkillered up. That's what I did with a persistent strand of it, couple of years ago & so far no show. I think if you do it as it appears there's not a lot of leaf area to take up the weed killer, by letting it grow you get more uptake
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 09:26 »
We call those morning glories over here and we like them!  Will plant them intentionally.  I love to see them climbing up the sweet corn. 

There are 2 types over here, the one which is related to the morning glory and calystegia sepium which is a complete thug and won't take no for an answer !  :mad:

I'll trade you some bindweed for some of my chocolate mint...talk about a monster!   :nowink:

I bought some of that ! and then promptly killed it  :lol:

I tried growing up canes and nuking it last year, but didn't try the jam jar soak. Is there a better (more suited) weedkiller for it than a glyphosate based one?

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 10:15 »
When I took over a new plot last year it was covered in the dreaded stuff. I dug out as much as possible by hand and then the roundup tree stump killer diluted to the correct strength and spot sprayed any new growth as and when required. The raspberry bed and the asparagus patch were the hardest to deal with as it was every where. I had to cover the asparagus stems with cardboard tubes and train the bindweed away from the plants before spraying  I would cover the soil with plastic to stop it going into the soil. as of yet no bind weed has shown its face, but I expect it will try again, and it will get the same treatment again this year.  >:(
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 10:31 »
Just keep pulling it up when it shows above ground and the roots will eventually die, it took me 7 years to kill off mares tail at my other garden, Dave  ps put all the bits in a tub of water and you will have free fertiliser
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 13:01 »
I eradicated it by pulling it up. I have completely lifted raspberries before and removed all the root that is tangled around them and replanted with no apparent harm. You do have to be really, really thorough in the first place. After that anything that appears will have grown from tiny shoots that got missed. As long as you get them quickly they pull out easily as they are growing from a tiny piece of root.
By the way, I love pulling bindweed. It is my favourite weed to remove. Don't have any here. I quite miss it!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 13:29 »
from the RHS site

Bindweed refers to two similar trumpet-flowered weeds - Hedge bindweed, bellbind (Calystegia sepium) and field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) - both of which twine around other plant stems, smothering them in the process

Bindweeds are a problematic for a number of reasons;

Bellbind spreads mainly from sections of underground stem (rhizome) or root. The roots of bellbind may penetrate up to 5m (16ft) deep or more and spread rapidly, but most growth is from white, shallow, fleshy underground stems. Established colonies can spread outwards by 2m (6ft) or more in a single season
Even very small sections are capable of producing shoot growth and can unwittingly be brought into gardens hidden among plant roots and in soils or manures
Bellbind produces seeds infrequently, but they can reportedly remain viable in the soil for many years
The roots of field bindweed are similarly deep-rooting to those of bellbind, with underground stems and shoots arising directly from the roots. Established colonies may extend outwards by 2m (6˝ft) or more in a season
Field bindweed produces seeds freely and they can remain viable in the soil for several years

On my smaller plot I used to get a lot of field bindweed (little pink flowers) and could never get rid of it, the bane of my life - just when I thought I'd got all the roots up, it was back again with a vengeance.  On my current plot, I have mainly hedge bindweed (big white flowers) which was rampant and covered the entire plot when I took it on.  Despite the "16 feet deep" root possibility, it seems easier to get rid of this one using a combination of digging out roots and weedkiller treatments.  The worst bits are amongst the blueberry roots and in a couple of beds with very heavy clay which is not easy to break up.  I also have permanent foot paths and that's probably where the roots are hiding

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 13:44 »
I hate the stuff.

Out of interest, when a shoot comes up out of the ground, is that just one plant? Or is that shoot and it's associated length of white root a whole mass of one big plant joined to some of the other shoots poking through nearby?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 13:58 »
A long root can have lots of shoots growing along its length, or what looks like a line of plants could each be growing from its own little bit of root - horrible stuff.

I found loads of roots running along under the black plastic on my paths  :ohmy: I got out as much as I could
and will glyphosate the rest. No more plastic paths for me, then  >:(

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 18:38 »
Mine is the hedge bindweed too - with the big white flowers - interesting the roots can be 16' as I have always found it to be fairly shallow (6 inches maximum!)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 21:05 by RJR_38 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 19:11 »
It runs along near the surface here, as well  ;)

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 19:52 »
I have field bindweed on one plot and the bigger leaves and white flowered one on the other!  The small leaved field bindweed grows in clumps and the fleshy "stalks" come out when you pull it leaving the main root system in place.  I found that I controlled it best when I covered the ground in membrane over the winter and only lifted it when I was ready to plant stuff out.  Other than that, once it's growing ( and it's well up now) I just keep hoeing as much as possible to stop it having flowers and therefore seeds.  The only positive thing is that it doesn't become rampant and smother plants, it stays on the ground.  In a way, the main type of bindweed is easier to control because you can at least see the root when you dig.

xx
Bind Weed

Started by Lari on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 17:24
by gremlin
xx
Bind Weed

Started by Buzzy bee on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 21:13
by Parsnip
xx
Bind weed

Started by jo.power on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 18:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
i'm growing bind weed

Started by like diggingk on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 04, 2012, 00:51
by ulsterfairy

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 39 queries.