Advice on eggs! (Been in incubator 7 days)

• 16 Replies

RICH_Chicken

Advice on eggs! (Been in incubator 7 days)
« on: March 30, 2015, 20:32 »
Hello all,

Purchased my incubator last weekend, along with 'fertile' eggs kept them at a constant temp and humidity, weighed them before they went in, decided today day 8 that I was going to weigh them and try candling them? I used torch etc to see. In the main all I could tell from doing this is that the part of the egg that's been facing up about a quarter of it is shadowed with the rest of egg being light! The weight of the eggs has all decreased by an average of 4/5 grams! Is this a good or bad sign?. I don't want to discard eggs really as I'm not 100% sure if im honest being it the first batch? Maybe they are slow developers?. Any advice/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rich
Rich_Chicken :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice on eggs! (Been in incubator 7 days)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 21:04 »
I always use a broody hen so never candle, but have you looked at this post, it might answer your questions.
Staffies are softer than you think.

RICH_Chicken

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 21:25 »
Thanks joyfull. This is useful although not sure mine are at the same stages of development as the ones in pics are 😞

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 23:26 »
these are sabelpoots and as true bantams they hatch around day 19 rather than 21 so yours could be slightly behind these so I would give them another week and candle them again.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 18:23 »
Hi Joyfull,

Have you got a manual or auto turner incubator. If manual how often are you turning the eggs? You should normally be able to see the red spider like thing around days 5-7 for most eggs/breeds/types regardless of hatch day. The only time I tend to have difficulty is on dark eggs such as maran and welsummers and I find turkey eggs a pain. I don't blame you for rechecking. I tend to candle twice just to be on the safe side and anything I am not sure off stays the duration unless it lets off an odour - in which case discard.

I hope this helps  :)

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 23:09 »
Hi Norfolk grey, I always used a broody, it's Rich_Chickens who was asking the question :)

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 23:36 »
Where did the eggs come from ?

If they came by post, I have had very poor results after they have been through the postal system

I never candled my eggs, I just checked the humidity, turned them 4-5 times a day and just waited to see what hatched

I had a simple incubator, with manual turning (I did it each day)

If I bought eggs from an auction (the one in Essex) I had a pretty good result, 11 out of 12 or 5 out of 6

I dont hatch eggs now, I leave it to the hens to sit it out, they seem to know which are the clear eggs and just sling em out
It's all about the journey, not the destination

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 23:41 »
yep, broody hens are far easier aren't they  :).
With postal eggs you need to rest them for at least 24 hours and ideally a bit longer but even then you have no guarantees as you don't know how they have been handled in transit.

pepsi100

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 23:47 »
At the auction, you usually get to see the person who is selling the eggs and they can tell you what breed they are

I wont buy eggs online again, its quite good at the auction, even if you are just looking and dont buy anything, you get to have a chat about different breeds, the best layers or even showing birds, a bit like here really, there is always someone who has had the same problems as you have

Plus they have a vet on site  :) who will give your birds the once over (Free) even if you arent selling them (he checks all birds and animal that are up for sale)

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04 »
Hi Norfolk grey, I always used a broody, it's Rich_Chickens who was asking the question :)

Opps sorry  :blush:

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 10:13 »
At the auction, you usually get to see the person who is selling the eggs and they can tell you what breed they are

I wont buy eggs online again, its quite good at the auction, even if you are just looking and dont buy anything, you get to have a chat about different breeds, the best layers or even showing birds, a bit like here really, there is always someone who has had the same problems as you have

Plus they have a vet on site  :) who will give your birds the once over (Free) even if you arent selling them (he checks all birds and animal that are up for sale)

I am jealous of the auctions you go to. The ones round here you just have to make your own mind up and take a chance.

I agree with buying online. I even had issues with one seller online last year where I collected and they were not good and the seller just palmed it off. One seller out my way had been getting neg. feedback about fertility but the ones I took were 100% fertile and 11 out of 12 hatched as very strong chicks. I have never succeeded with posted eggs  :(

pepsi100

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 12:00 »
The auction I go to isnt exactly on my doorstep, its still over an  hours drive away, but I think its worth the trip,

I have been there, sold birds, bought birds, sometime's just have a bacon sarnie and a coffee and dont bring anything back (apart from a bit of advice or information)

There has been an auction here for sometime, but someone new has just taken it over and are trying to boost numbers selling, buying or just attending and its always on a Sunday, worth a day trip out if nothing else

Helenaj

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 14:22 »
Hi Rich_Chicken

Please see this link, you may find it useful:

http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/hatching-chicken-eggs.html

Helena

RICH_Chicken

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 20:35 »
Hello all,

I've candled the eggs today at day 15 there seems to be nothing in all 24 apart from the top quarter of the egg this looks like the yolk as it moves when I move the egg! We purchased off a lady who has a cockerel an hens but she just brought a batch of eggs out of her shed an let us pick through, I wasn't sure how old they were etc does this matter? Also I hope I've been doing everythin right ive got a Brinsea Eco and temp has been constant and humidity has also? It's got an automatic cradle attached so I'm guessing this turns the eggs? Any idea on what to do? Thought of cracking a few to see what's in side or shall I just leave them an keep crossing my fingers? The birds are warrens if this helps?

Thanks

pepsi100

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 21:08 »
I dont sell fertile eggs, but I do sell my eggs (even though they are fertile)

I date each box, so if anyone did want to hatch eggs, they get the freshest possible, it sounds like you have got a duff lot, they are all clear by the sounds of it

I have had the same problem when I bought eggs from the internet and they were delivered by post

But never when I have bought them at auction or a farm, I have had at least one come through (but generally more)

Sorry but I think you have wasted your money (unless you can get whoever you bought them from to give you some more eggs)

It sounds like you have done everything right though
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 21:11 by pepsi100 »

xx
No eggs for 4 days

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 01, 2008, 21:39
by Ruby Red
xx
Eggs in incubator....

Started by symonep on The Hen House

113 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 21:56
by ANHBUC
xx
Eggs for Incubator

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2015, 10:15
by Prod
xx
Eggs for incubator

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 21:35
by meterman

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 39 queries.