Anyone used B&M's growbags before?

• 7 Replies

Bigrich

Anyone used B&M's growbags before?
« on: January 31, 2015, 18:26 »
B&M are doing growbags for the bargain price of £1.39, but was wondering if anyone's used them in the past and whether they were worth it?

Was planning on using them for tomatoes, peppers & cucumbers, and for the tomatoes at least will be upping the volume of compost by cutting the bottom out of plant pots and using them as a cheapy version of a plant halo to give the roots more depth before they hit the growbag

Any experiences or views on them?

luke34

Re: Anyone used B&M's growbags before?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 20:59 »
was in B&M last week and there was a bust  growbag, had a look  at it looked like swipings up of the floor.better of getting something like Verve Multi-Purpose Compost 125L . you get what you pay for.

Bigrich

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 21:47 »
you get what you pay for.

Completely agree - will steer clear then

Cheers

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:59 »
B&M are doing growbags for the bargain price of £1.39

Any experiences or views on them?
I got a couple of bags last year, for filling pots etc (also tomatoes) but wasn't too impressed. Bits of twigs etc.

I'll not use them again.

That Verve compost is OK, at £6.73 for 125lites but there are probably other better composts, although not cheaper.

I find .. best go for quality, rather than price. If a bag of compost can fill, say 5 tomato pots and costs £1 more, that's just 20p extra per pot. Two more tomatoes will recover that cost .. any more and you're ion 'compost credit' :blush:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 10:15 »
After making some bad choices I eventually came up with my golden rule which has served me quite well when it comes to everything from choosing builders to USB memory sticks (and also compost):

Do whatever research you can, but never go for either the cheapest or the most expensive - the cheapest will probably be 'too good to be true' and the most expensive will not be twice as good as the one at half the price.

Looking around various websites offering bagged compost of various types, I've noticed an increase in the number of products being offered in 'handy-size' bags - beware, and take your calculator with you!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 10:58 »
I got some B&M compost a couple of years ago, I don't know if the composition changes from year to year, but it was more like the council soil improver/conditioner, lots of lumps and even some bits of wire.
Wouldn't get that again, unless it was just to put on the borders.
Anne

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 11:19 »
After making some bad choices I eventually came up with my golden rule which has served me quite well when it comes to everything from choosing builders to USB memory sticks (and also compost):

Do whatever research you can, but never go for either the cheapest or the most expensive - the cheapest will probably be 'too good to be true' and the most expensive will not be twice as good as the one at half the price.

Looking around various websites offering bagged compost of various types, I've noticed an increase in the number of products being offered in 'handy-size' bags - beware, and take your calculator with you!  ;)
What a very good rule to go by and I do that as well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 18:44 »
used miracle grow from asda last year best results for a long time.

xx
GROWBAGS

Started by JJ on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 23:19
by johnfh
xx
Growbags

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 20:28
by Ice
xx
Growbags

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 10:39
by upert
xx
Tomatoes in growbags

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2023, 08:57
by coldandwindy

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 40 queries.