Grape vines

• 7 Replies

sion01

Grape vines
« on: January 25, 2015, 16:50 »
I've been flirting with the idea of planting grapes outside but most of the books seem to say that they do well south of a line between Gloucestershire and The Wash which leaves me quite a bit too northerly.Has anybody north of this line had any success with grapes or dismal failure???

Ivor Backache

Re: Grape vines
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 17:07 »
I am in N Wales and last year planted Black Hamburg for the green house and  Larkmont for outside. Went to local garden centre for advise and what to grow, and this is what they suggested.

sion01

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 17:53 »
I think you might have a bit more success in Rhuddlan then further west where I am,its a bit colder and drier over there which grapes dont mind.Its a bit warmer over here but also wetter and I think it's the wet the vine's don't like.Im a bit nervouse of giving so much space to something that might be a complete failure,but one wouldn't hure would it

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 19:56 »
@Ivor

Lakemont?  I've just put one in the Polytunnel and the guy at Rogers of Pickering reckoned that the seedless varieties need MORE protection than the seeded.  He said if it drops below 5 degrees then you'll lose your crop.

Might be an idea to put the Lakemont inside...???

sion01

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:40 »
I've decided to buy one and if thats a success i'll put a couple more in

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 12:11 »
@Ivor
He said if it drops below 5 degrees then you'll lose your crop.

I was told the exact opposite ,bines are very hardy plants.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 13:30 »
Yes the vine is very hardy but it will drop its flowers if it gets cold.  Roger's of Pickering are very good at advising I find and I have every faith that they have advised correctly.

Basically the guy said that going for seedless was more risky because you have more chance of losing your crop if it gets cold...

jambop

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 21:39 »
What you want for a chance of success is a south facing wall to grow them against. This will give some protection against a late frost when they are flowering. I grow them against a south wall down here in France although they would be OK out in the open. Incidentally don't buy any new plants save really good ripe wood pruning's about 18 inches long  and cut straight through the bottom most bud wrap them in news paper and soak in a bucket of water over night then place then in a plastic bag and put them in a warm place for a couple of weeks they will form a callous which indicates they are about to send out roots. Pot them up and put them on a warm bench keep well watered and they will root. I normally plant out when I can see roots coming through the bottom of the pot dead easy and cost effective.

xx
grape vines

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 21:39
by Trillium
xx
Grape vines - what should I be doing?

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 19:00
by joshbuchan
xx
Grape vines

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 19:14
by realfood
xx
Grape Vines

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 19:58
by Babstreefern

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 35 queries.