School Poly tunnel - advice please!

• 2 Replies

trefnantschool

School Poly tunnel - advice please!
« on: January 10, 2015, 13:10 »
Hi All, I've just started as a school secretary. Last spring the school built a poly tunnel, but its never been used!
I've been told I can have half on the poly tunnel for my own use, if I grow plants in the other half with the children. There's also a veg and flower garden.
I have 2 issues, the first is money and the second is getting stuff growing which the children can eat at snack time, bearing in mind that the children break up for the summer hols early July.

I'm thinking of growing cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, peppers and maybe having a go at melons any suggestion of anything else?
I was also going to grow outside sun flowers, pumpkins, potatoes, raspberries and strawberries and sweet peas.

Am I too early to start sowing now to try and get a head start. I have a heated propagator that I can use in my greenhouse at home to start seeds.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: School Poly tunnel - advice please!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 15:31 »
Hi - your choices sound pretty sensible to me - I'd say that you might be able to start sowing tomato now(ish) - though you might have better results if you wait another couple of weeks (assuming the school GH is unheated)
You might also consider lettuce - a couple of years back I grew overwintering varieties in my unheated GH very succssfully and was cropping till mid January.
Always found melons tricky - though I keep trying...
Something slightly 'unusual' like cape gosseberries might also be worth considering - seem to grow like triffids in my GH.

Best of luck,

Pip pip,
Balders

Headgardener22

Re: School Poly tunnel - advice please!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 15:45 »
Radishes, Peas, Lettuces? (I know children don't in general like lettuce but they'll be available)

I realise this isn't your problem but why did the school waste their money buying a polytunnel if they didn't have a keen gardener to use it?

xx
New poly tunnel

Started by veggies on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 22:23
by sonnycbr
xx
New poly tunnel

Started by bobsbooth on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 19:27
by shokkyy
xx
Poly tunnel?

Started by snowdrops on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2018, 22:41
by Dev
xx
new poly tunnel

Started by jambop on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post November 21, 2016, 08:51
by jambop

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.