Would a dumpy bag rot over two years (leafmould)

• 15 Replies

kirpi

Would a dumpy bag rot over two years (leafmould)
« on: September 18, 2014, 19:33 »
I have mowed over a large amount of leaves and they are now too small to pile into a wire cage to rot down (unless I use the small honeycomb stuff - there's an idea). They are in a dumpy about a third full at the moment and I could take them up the allotment and leave them in the bag behind the shed but I am concerned I may come back to a pile of leafmould and a whole load of plastic threads if the bag rots.

My options are:
- the dumpy bag
-  a dalek composter with the lid left off so they get enough moisture and air
- a fine gauge wire bin

any suggestions?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Would a dumpy bag rot over two years (leafmould)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 19:57 »
The usual suggestions are black plastic bags with holes poked into them (and leaves wettened before the bags are sealed), or wire bins.

Are the dumpy bags like the 1 ton builders bags?  I'd have thought they would survive for a good couple of years.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

kirpi

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 20:00 »
Yes - the 1 metre cubed ones that sand etc come in - was thinking of rolling the sides over and leaving behind my shed for a couple of years. The woven material would allow moisture and air to circulate while they rot.

- or black compost bags as you describe. Not sure if I have enough though.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 20:01 »
The black bags are just regular bin bags.

kirpi

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 20:15 »
Thanks Yorkie - do you mean the posh grade bin bags? I can't imagine the value ones that Mrs K buys would be photo-stable for two years.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 20:19 »
Hmm, good point.  I guess when bin bags were being recommended, the thin grade value ones weren't really a big feature of the market.  I agree that the thinner ones probably aren't photo stable for a couple of years, but the more robust ones should be OK.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 21:01 »
You could double bag, fist in the black bin bags, then in the ton bags with the top folded over, but wet the leaves well first. You could also throw in a good spade of garden compost to get some worms in there.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 22:08 »
Leaf mould forms by fungal action rather than bacterial breakdown which is why it takes longer to produce than normal compost. Not sure the worms would help in that case.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 22:40 »
I have mowed over a large amount of leaves and they are now too small to pile into a wire cage to rot down (unless I use the small honeycomb stuff - there's an idea).

Hmmm ... I wonder if the wide-mesh of the wire matters?  They will clump down and form a fairly dense block, so I think even a wide mesh will retain them.  Might need something on top to stop them blowing about - a piece of old carpet, for example.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 23:13 »
I tend to put mine in old compost bags and leave for at least a year.

kirpi

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 23:53 »
I think I'm moving towards the black bag - compost bags if I have them - idea and leaving them behind the shed to rot down. A dalek composter seems a waste of a composter and I really don't want to be picking dumpy threads out of my leafmould if it does fall apart over time.

- must have some compost bags somewhere that I didn't turn into hanging basket liners!

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 07:25 »
Leaf mould forms by fungal action rather than bacterial breakdown which is why it takes longer to produce than normal compost. Not sure the worms would help in that case.

Yes I'm aware of that but whenever I open black bags of leaf mould there's always worms in there :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 07:44 »
Kirpi, I can be sure that the builders' bag you suggested would not rot after two years because I had one filled with chipped bark for at least this length of time: the bark composted down a lot and the bag was unscathed. the same bag has been used for various other things since and is fine.

I composted down leaves in black bags, and had some amazing compost as a result but I did it in black bags with holes poked in them. They did break up however and I had to extract the plastic before using the compost. It did take 2 years however, but I used whole leaves. Yours are chopped up so should go more quickly.

Never thought of using the builders' bag for leaves. I think if the top was covered to keep them moist they would rot down well.

imho .... go for it!!!  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 08:21 »
I use a builders bag for leaves and I've never had a problem with the bag rotting.I also throw all my old compost in it after use. The only slight problem I've had was with the plastic bag inside the builders bag,( I don't know if they all have them in), which broke down, so I had to remove all the small pieces of plastic.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 09:00 »
Our builders bags don't have an inner plastic, and I've had big weeds like nettles and docks in one for several years with no problems, and Brian has had one out the front for a couple of years still with ballast in it and its still whole.

xx
Cucumber - Small and Dumpy

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 20:42
by gobs
xx
leafmould

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 10:08
by savbo
smiley
Leafmould

Started by SPUDMIESTER on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 20:23
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
Leafmould

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 10:17
by Minty

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 39 queries.