How did your sweetcorn perform this year?

• 26 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
How did your sweetcorn perform this year?
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:50 »
Very pleased with my Incredible F1 - they didn't reach the 8' height claimed for them, averaging around 6' or so, but most plants produced 2 excellent pale yellow cobs, which is a better yield than for many years for me. First ones were picked in late August, again very unusual for me here.

Don't know how much the variety made a difference because this summer was unusually sweetcorn-friendly, and with any variety I always get the feeling they could have done even better - ignoring the tillers most of them produced 3 female flowers, but the male flowers had run out of ammunition by the time they appeared.

Staggering the sowing and planting may have helped with that, although the last time I tried that needless to say it was a duff summer and I had a long wait before getting anything from them at all!

Not sure what to do next year - being taller plants they may struggle in a poor summer so I may go back to Swift to be on the safe side.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: How did your sweetcorn perform this year?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 13:08 »
Mine (honeydew I think) was embarrassingly awful. They got to about a foot high maximum and cobs were about 4 kernels big. Most likely my fault for leaving them in pots for too long and planting out too late. The neighbouring squash leaves grew taller than the plants and that didn't help pollination any.  :blush:

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 13:30 »
My outdoor Incredible were a lot longer into forming cobs as compared to my GH ones. They were good but not fully pollinated - don't know why.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 13:40 »
I may go back to Swift to be on the safe side.
I grew Swift in the greenhouse this year, but couldn't get more seed for outdoors, so planted Lark instead.  I thought they were much-of-a-muchness but I have got multiple cobs on the Lark plants, and can't remember that ever happening, other than one-or-two, in previous years with Swift.  The family said that the flavour was good ...

Staggering the sowing and planting may have helped with that, although the last time I tried that needless to say it was a duff summer and I had a long wait before getting anything from them at all!

I used to do several sowings, at fortnightly intervals, but then found that the copr would "stand" for a while, and there was little to be gained from successional sowing (except perhaps the risk that some never ripened!)

Anyways, when I did that I planted "towards" from the prevailing wind, so that successive plantings would provide additional pollen to earlier sowings. I may have been kidding myself! but it seemed to make sense at the time :)

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 13:49 »
Not bad this year.  I grew Special Swiss from Real Seeds.  Getting 1 or 2 cobs on each plant, with pretty well formed and pollinated cobs and nice flavour.    It did take quite a few seeds to get sufficient numbers germinated at the beginning though.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 15:27 »
best year ever this year. I planted them in a block around 12-15 inches apart, about 60 of them.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 15:36 »
Incredible F1 - thought they were never going to ripen - but htey have in the last week or thereabouts. Had a humungous cob raw on the plot earlier and it were lubberly... Only getting a couple of cobs per plant but at least I'm cropping...

Cheers,
Balders

beesrus

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 15:56 »
Fantastic year, and the earliest cropping ever. Even ate some raw on the plot a la Baldy. What a good idea. End of July for my old favourite Golden Bantams and the first time Sundance. Left the Incredibles out this year.
A couple of later nearby neighbourly crops even ensured my later second cob silks got a fair old pollinating even though my own tassels had finished.
If I can beat myself up with any errors this year, it is that I left a few too many cobs on the plants too long looking for an extra corny taste , rather than picking and freezing all of them early on. Consequently I put that too chewy 10% to the compost bin.
Will revert next year to 2 sowings 3 weeks apart, so as to spread the cropping and pollinating period. There's only so many cobs you can eat in one day.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 15:57 by beesrus »

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 16:16 »
Best ever crop from Incredible F1 that was harvested a two or three weeks ago. I protected them when I planted them out in late May with plastic cloches to keep the wind off and they seemed to get a good start. managed to protect the cobs from the mice with socks which worked well and harvested two good cobs from each plant. I've cooked some and stripped from the cob to freeze which is very easy out of the freezer. I've also blanched some whole cobs with the covering leaves and frozen those although haven't tried them yet. The fresh ones were superb :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 16:35 »
Lark gave 2 full cobs per plant, and even the occasional 3rd half pollinated cob - so it's been a good year for sweetcorn here, as well  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 16:43 »
Lark gave 2 full cobs per plant, and even the occasional 3rd half pollinated cob - so it's been a good year for sweetcorn here, as well  :)

Snap!!! Lark gave us the best sweetcorn I have ever tasted and some even got eaten raw at the plot. Two good cobs per plant  :D :D

Sadly the later cobs were demolished by the rats before I could pick them... lesson to be learned there about not leaving ripe corn for them to sniff out next year.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 16:56 »

Same here with my Lark would have been better if the squirrels had left more - next year after they are pollinated I'm going to cover the cobs with pop bottles and not supply a fence around them to keep the foxes out and a seat for the squirrels. I may hoop and net them.   

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 16:57 »
First year I've grown Lark, and I was pleased to get 2 cobs per plant.  For those that have grown it before is that the Norm?, or unusual?

bravemurphy

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 16:59 »
We had some nice cobs from the swift we planted but the few I picked last weekend were not very nice and I cannot decide whether they were over ripe or under ripe.
The cobs had the odd dark yellow cornells as if they had ripened unevenly and they tasted very earthy and chewy.

cadalot

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 17:03 »
First year I've grown Lark, and I was pleased to get 2 cobs per plant.  For those that have grown it before is that the Norm?, or unusual?

Two or 3 usual and because I shake them most of the Second were fully populated with corn as well - Only about 3 were not - Not many 3rd made it to maturity but next year I'm going to get the pollen on my hands and apply to the tassels as well as shake.

xx
sweetcorn in the same bed as last year

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 09:24
by Trikidiki
xx
2nd year of stunted sweetcorn

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 15:52
by JayG
xx
Sweetcorn - late this year

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 19:49
by Wombat
xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 40 queries.