Which broad bean?

• 12 Replies

Elaine G

Which broad bean?
« on: September 02, 2014, 23:59 »
I normally grow aquadulce over winter for an early crop then follow with something else as I only have a half plot.
However, I would like to grow a second spring crop next year. The first crop was good but risky if we have a bad winter and we have to share them now with my grandson who really couldn't get enough of them. In fact he loves anything green -my peas are demolished raw or cooked - interesting for a child of 17 months!
So can anyone recommend another type to sow in the spring. Flavour is the most important criteria please  :)

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Steveharford

Re: Which broad bean?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 06:41 »
I found Wikitiem very flavoursome and easy to grow

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:59 »
I'm not convinced, on my heavy clay soil, that Aquadulce is worth growing as an over winter crop ... it fairs badly in wet winters.  So I sow it, in 9cm pots, in January and plant out early in the year.  Perhaps not such an early crop as if I sowed in the Autumn, but no huge gaps between the few surviving plants either!

I then grow Masterpiece Green Longpod and Imperial Green Longpod.

Perhaps on exposed sites a dwarf variety would be better - such as The Sutton - it does my back in stooping down to harvest dwarf varieties though ...

Just doing a Google of varieties that are recommended for Flavour that brings up:

Masterpiece Green Longpod
Bunyard’s Exhibition
Optica
Witkiem Manita

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:06 »
I agree with Kristen about Aquadulce being risky as an overwinter crop.  I have had failures with it both overwintered and in spring.  I think if you are going to grow it though, it is better suited to a spring planting.

I have only tried it for the first time this year, but very hardy Wizard field beans were a great success for me overwintered and planted the first week in November.   Full size plants laden with pods.   The pods and beans are slightly smaller than standard broad beans, but the yield more than made up for it.  The taste was great too.

So I would suggest Wizard for the overwinter crop and another of your varieties for spring.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:36 »
I agree wizzard survives wind snow and ice much better and higher yeld ow.  I don't bother with later ones as there are still loads in the freezer.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:16 »
I'm going for Wizard and Crimson flowered this year. Both have done well on neighbouring plots overwinter, and we are on heavy London clay here.

Robster

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:19 »
I have no doubt that overwintering is a risky job.  last year I had about 5% gaps which I plugged with root trainer grown later sowing.  I did not think this so bad.  This is about the best I've ever had.  I am also convinced that the major problems are caused by sowing too early in a mild year and then a layer of snow on leggy plants in february.  Last year was mild and I sowed the first week in November.  My plants were about two inches above ground in february at the cold time and got through OK.

The yield from Aquadulce is ver impressive and on a relatively small space we had enough when they were fresh and have enough in the freezer to last a while.

Getting the early beans out just a week or two earlier than would otherwise be the case is so valuable in a successional planting scheme.  I followed with leeks and peas both of which got a good start being plant out late June.

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 17:19 »
I'm going for Wizard and Crimson flowered this year. Both have done well on neighbouring plots overwinter, and we are on heavy London clay here.

The same varieties as me. I was thinking of overwintering the Wizard and sowing the Crimson flowered in spring. Have I understood your message rightly: that the Crimson Flowered overwintered well too?

Steveharford

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 17:25 »
I will also be doing Wizard but also as a green manure

surbie100

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 10:24 »

The same varieties as me. I was thinking of overwintering the Wizard and sowing the Crimson flowered in spring. Have I understood your message rightly: that the Crimson Flowered overwintered well too?

My neighbour grew them last year (the seed's from him) and they got to nearly 6ft tall in Spring. I don't think he was expecting that and the winds blew them over. Till then they did look stunning and there were very few gaps. It was very mild here over winter.

Snoop

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 10:43 »
My neighbour grew them last year (the seed's from him) and they got to nearly 6ft tall in Spring. I don't think he was expecting that and the winds blew them over. Till then they did look stunning and there were very few gaps. It was very mild here over winter.

Six feet! My goodness. I wasn't expecting that either. That makes a difference as to where I sow them. I might try them in a block, as well, as recommended on other threads for Wizard, to give them more of a fighting chance against wind. Thanks for the info. Very useful. If there's any further advice you can give, I'd welcome it. Mr. Snoop loves broad beans, and if they look "stunning", all the better.

surbie100

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 10:50 »
I always sow in blocks, with string running through and around when they get to over 2ft high as it's windy here.  I stagger the rows so the plants are a bit more supported.

Mr Surbie also loves broadies and is already enquiring how many I intend to have for next year, as this year 'wasn't quite enough' !

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 12:27 »
Thanks, Surbie. We never have enough broad beans as I never seem to succeed at growing them. I've told Mr Snoop that if we don't get a reasonable harvest this year, I'm just going to give up. I'm hoping that growing them in blocks will be the answer.

xx
Broad Bean

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 15:30
by Paul Plots
xx
What is this on my broad bean and is it serious?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 21, 2021, 19:43
by missmoneypenny
xx
Broad bean

Started by Allan-25J on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 30, 2018, 12:01
by mjg000
xx
Broad bean help

Started by DonnaP on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 15:32
by DonnaP

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 39 queries.