Insitu composting

• 20 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Insitu composting
« on: September 02, 2014, 16:49 »
I had a few empty beds so decided to experiment. Ripped up some cardboard then added kitchen peelings chopped weeds, minus roots and flowers and old veg leaves topped with a thin layer of manure and watered. Some of the beds may have ow onions or wizzard beans and some may be left till the spring.

Hoping this will save me carting all the stuff to the bottom of the plot to compost and then return.

The weed seeds and roots went in to a dustbin of water.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

snowdrops

Re: Insitu composting
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 17:58 »
My plot neighbour does that over the winter MC & finds it beneficial.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 18:04 »
Google sheet composting - that's what you're doing  ;)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 20:59 »
Thank you I guess someone would have a name for it I'll have a read.

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 21:12 »
Oh - that is what I do - did not realise it had a name. I also spread the fresh muck from the hen runs over some of the veggie patches in the Autumn and in the greenhouse bed and just let nature do its thing. I have had good results from those beds this year and from the greenhouse tomatoes.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 21:22 »
Thanks I just stood there last week wondering why I was carry every thing there and back twice. The woody stuff like br sp stalks will still go in the pallet bins but most stuff is leafy and green. The roots and flowers are a very small proportion of the weeds The bin is now full of water as I have almost 2000L in the IPCs. I think this will make a good spring feed too.

Robster

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 03:33 »
I do something similar with woody prunings all the way up to small branches.  I shred the lot and put in bags with a shovel of compost.  I tie it up or fold it down and then leave it for a long time.  Invariably I forget about it until I happen across the bag years later and find it full of nice stuff

kirpi

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 13:38 »
I am taking bulky things like sweetcorn stalks, brassica stems, spent raspberry canes and finished bean and pea vines home and either running the mower over them or putting them through my shredder, then they are returned to the allotment to go direct on the top of my growing beds. They rot down and are taking down by earthworms.

Doing this I have reduced the amount of work maintaining wooden pallet bins and just have three dalek composters to deal with stuff when the beds are fully occupied.

beesrus

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 14:13 »
I use several methods, some of which roughly mimic the old permaculture way. Where and when I have enough animal manure, I tend to compost in a traditional heap and/or daleks as the manure gets the temperature up to where it needs to be.
Last year I used animal and green manure everywhere. This year, it's proving difficult to get guaranteed aminopyralid-free manure, so three areas are down to clover, and now a fairly big area has been covered by a big van full of jasmine cuttings from home, huge heaps of the stuff, That should suppress any weeds and dry/rot/do it's thing. There's another couple of beds that are acommodating the drying and rotting down stalks from the sweet corn, artichokes and the like, and most of the other weeds. It all acts as a brilliant weed suppressant and I will just rake off the woody bits that are left next year and recompost that or have a Spring bonfire and use the ash.
I also have an ongoing process of a problem couch/docks/thistle heap that covers a bed and takes two years to decompose. I then uncover and dig that over, pull out any vibrant root ( not that many) and that bed becomes just about the most fertile on the plot for a year or two. And so it goes on.
I would LOVE a shredder, Kirpi, that can handle the big stalks, but I just can't bring myself to fork out the money.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 14:24 by beesrus »

Madame Cholet

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 23:03 »
I try and be green, healthy and frugal and cycle to the lotty 2 miles so I cant shred stuff.

kirpi

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 00:33 »
What you could do with those really tough, slow to compost things like brassica stems is to keep a mallet at the lotty to smash them down a bit before putting in the compost bin.

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 06:31 »
What you could do with those really tough, slow to compost things like brassica stems is to keep a mallet at the lotty to smash them down a bit before putting in the compost bin.

I didn't think of that I've just been cutting them into 10 - 15mm length so they are small but it's murder on your hands after a while and I still have so many to do.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 07:54 »
I have loads of space the stalks all go in one of the pallet bins at the bottom.

cadalot

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 08:06 »
I have loads of space the stalks all go in one of the pallet bins at the bottom.

But what would you do if you didn't have a bottom (of a pallet bin that is)  :nowink:

Madame Cholet

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 08:14 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: wouldn't be able to sit down

xx
Composting

Started by chris mutter on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 21:19
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
composting

Started by Iain j on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 18:21
by Ivor Backache
xx
Composting

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 11:47
by BabyStar
xx
Composting

Started by susiebeb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2016, 21:22
by ilan

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 40 queries.