unhappy rhubarb

• 10 Replies

Grubbypaws

unhappy rhubarb
« on: August 30, 2014, 11:30 »
My rhubarb now has nothing going for it  :(
A neighbours tree now castes it in deep shadow and a pump from his soggy cellar keeps the area waterlogged  :(
I need to move it but need advice on if I can and when I should.

Thank you

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: unhappy rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 12:03 »
In my experience an established rhubarb tends to be as tough as old boots when it comes to relocation.
Now is probably a reasonable time to move it as the majority of the growing season has passed so the plant is slowing down.
Dig as much rootball out and plonk it in its new home - if you've got any manure that would be a good idea to chuck on too.
You might want to resist picking stems from it for a few months next year to give it chance to recuperate but having said that the last one I moved (an early variety admittedly) was giving a healthy crop by March.

Cheers,
Balders

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 13:55 »
I agree, plan not to crop it next year - but you'll probably find that its recovered enough to be pick-able.

Perhaps split the crown into several lumps?  That's more likely to mean you can't crop it next year ... but you'll have more plants thereafter (which might help if you fancy forcing them in subsequent years, as those that are forced are likely to need a season to recover the following year)

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 16:04 »
The right time to move rhubarb is Winter. Dig it up in November/December. Leave it out in the weather and replant young bits in Jan/Feb.

One approach would be to dig down in November to expose it and chop off a few young looking bits for planting. No finesse here, just chop a lump off with a spade.

Leave the rest of the root and cover it up. Plant the young bits. Next year the old root will provide you with rhubarb so that you will not need to crop the young ones. Once the rhubarb season is over you can dig out the old root and discard it. These roots are pretty tough and any small piece left behind will regrowwill regrow.

gypsy

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 22:24 »
The bits that you chop off to replant benefit from leaving on top of the soil until after a hard frost, they will be ok on top of the soil until next spring. You will not be able to harvest from them for the first yr.
Catherine

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 02:13 »
The right time to move rhubarb is Winter. Dig it up in November/December. Leave it out in the weather and replant young bits in Jan/Feb.

One approach would be to dig down in November to expose it and chop off a few young looking bits for planting. No finesse here, just chop a lump off with a spade.

Leave the rest of the root and cover it up. Plant the young bits. Next year the old root will provide you with rhubarb so that you will not need to crop the young ones. Once the rhubarb season is over you can dig out the old root and discard it. These roots are pretty tough and any small piece left behind will regrowwill regrow.

Spot on advice here in my opinion.

It's usually very hard to kill rhubarb and even when you think you have dug it all up it very often beats you and regrows in the original place. Mine survived the compost heap... in fact it loved it. Keep it watered during the growing season in very dry weather after moving.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 08:41 »
The bits that you chop off to replant benefit from leaving on top of the soil until after a hard frost, they will be ok on top of the soil until next spring. You will not be able to harvest from them for the first yr.

Interesting ... anyone know what the reason for leaving them exposed being a benefit? Seems to go against all that I have ever learnt in terms of not leaving plants out of the soil for too long :)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 10:09 »
I agree Kristen, it all sounds rather frightening  :ohmy: I would love to know the reason too.

Would the plant come to harm if I just dug it up when dormant and popped it into a hole in its new home as I would any other plant?

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 11:28 »

Interesting ... anyone know what the reason for leaving them exposed being a benefit? Seems to go against all that I have ever learnt in terms of not leaving plants out of the soil for too long :)

I think the advice is more suited to when you are forcing rhubarb as you want it exposed to frost first before bringing it into the warmth. I have always managed a good harvest the year after transplanting when not leaving it on the surface. Mind you, I think a lot has to do with the quality of the soil you are on. On a sandy soil you may well need to leave it a while to establish before picking and this could be two years in some dryer areas.

gypsy

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 17:27 »
That is what I was told by the old timers when I was given some chunks of rhubarb 2 yrs ago and it worked, they are all healthy plants

Robster

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 12:21 »
I moved mine this year about mid spring it was.  Certainly after I'd had a big crop off it.  Anyway I dug up three large chunks of crown.  Sprinkled it liberally with mycorrhiza powder and replanted in its new home.  Kept it well watered and it's got off just fine.  I'll be cropping next year like its been there for ever.

Needless to say the old site still keeps on putting up shoots and leaves.  I expect it will for a few seasons yet until I've got it all out

xx
Unhappy rhubarb

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 21:18
by grenhouse
xx
Should broccoli look this unhappy?

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2013, 07:25
by New shoot
xx
My worms are unhappy :-(

Started by potatopotato on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 16:56
by woodburner
xx
Unhappy blueberries

Started by Small Potatoes on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 19:02
by SG6

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 39 queries.