How do you sow seed?

• 16 Replies

Asherweef

How do you sow seed?
« on: April 24, 2014, 17:47 »
This might seem like a funny question but I'm wondering about how individuals sow their seed? Is it a scatterbrained approach or a 17-point-potting-plan? For instance... I chuck a load of compost in cells, jab my sticky wet fingers in and then try (unsuccessfully) to delicately pick up and sow a seed before giving it a compost blanket.

Do other people dib their holes and then sow, push the seed in, cover with compost at once or riddle it over the entire tray?

Just interested :D

Yana

Re: How do you sow seed?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 17:56 »
Compost in tray /pot/or whatever container you are using, pat down with small wooden block to level to get rid of air gaps, water, broadcast seed if small or try to spread out if larger, rub compost between hands to cover seeds, pat down with wooden block so seeds are in contact with compost, label. Job done.  :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 18:04 »

I mainly use a 'pooter' or a length of ally angle.  Pooter, suck a seed up onto the pipe and then drop it into the chosen area, don't blow as this wets the inside of the pipe causing the seeds to stick.

Ally angle, you can spread the seeds as close together or as wide apart in the angle as you like in a standing position then tip them into a prepared mini trench. (Reduced chance of backache). :)

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 22:19 »
It depends on the size of the seeds being sown. If they are big bean seeds or sunflower seeds then I just push them into the soil, medium sized seeds I make the hole then pop one seed in. Small hard to see fine seeds get sprinkled lightly and compost on top.  :D

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 22:27 »
I sow all my seeds individually and that way I don't have to do much thinning. It's a bit of a faff but quite easy once you get used to the small seeds. The only seeds I've not managed it with are celery which are so small I can barely see them.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 23:32 »
Modules  one seed in each as much as poss using another module on top to flatten.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

al78

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 23:42 »
Usually in modules, fill most of the way with compost, pack it down, drop a couple of seeds into each module and lightly sprinkle with more compost, then gently pat down, then add a label. With something like chamomile where the seeds are so small they are like powder I lightly sprinkle some into each module and worry about thinning out later.

If sowing direct outdoors, dig a shallow trench, fill with compost, sow thinly into the compost then lightly sprinkle with more compost, gently tap down, water, surround with a barrier of Slug Gone wool pellets, then go up every other night with a torch and a pair of scissors looking for any that got past the barrier.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 06:46 »
Now I was recently told I was doing it wrong. Small seeds need extra love. I have given up with cells mainly so I am using 3 inch pots. Put in compost and flatten, sprinkle a few seeds across the surface and then using a tiny garden sieve, sieve over just enough till you cant see the seeds. Dont flatten the water will do that when you water them.

Big seeds just get stuck in. I thought it was a load of rubbish at first but all seeds done like the way above germinated very well. My big seeds that got the tough love...... Well I am still waiting for them to appear.

Headgardener22

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 07:12 »
Big seeds just get stuck in. Medium seeds in modules. Small seeds scattered thinly in 7 cm pots. To scatter, place seeds on your left hand, curl it up slightly and tap it with your right. The seeds trickle down the heart lines in a controlled way.

If you're sowing in drills outdoor, I always: put compost in the drill; water; sow; put compost over the seeds; pat down; cover to keep the birds off.

But then, my soil's clay which forms a pan as soon as it rains.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 17:32 by Headgardener22 »

Snoop

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 07:54 »

I mainly use a 'pooter' or a length of ally angle.  Pooter, suck a seed up onto the pipe and then drop it into the chosen area, don't blow as this wets the inside of the pipe causing the seeds to stick.

Ally angle, you can spread the seeds as close together or as wide apart in the angle as you like in a standing position then tip them into a prepared mini trench. (Reduced chance of backache). :)

Cheers,   Tony.

Crumbs, this seems like advanced technology. I'd never even heard of a pooter or of ally angle till now.

Ma Lowe

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 08:40 »

Cheers,   Tony.

Crumbs, this seems like advanced technology. I'd never even heard of a pooter or of ally angle till now.

I think some photos are needed of these as I too have never heard of them  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 08:57 »
Anything that uses a suction pipe can called be a pooter, these are quite often seen

http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/shop/plastic-ball-seed-sower-9ce7da6b/default.aspx

Ma Lowe

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 09:00 »
Anything that uses a suction pipe can called be a pooter, these are quite often seen

http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/shop/plastic-ball-seed-sower-9ce7da6b/default.aspx

Oh right, I have seen them. It's the name used was what I didn't recognise  :D

Casey76

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 09:49 »
I've got individual 5 or 7cm square pots (godets in French).  Put empty pots in mesh bottomed tray, fill with compost, tap tray to settle compost, water, for medium seeds dib three holes, for larger seeds 2 or 1 depending on size. Drop seeds into holes, collapse top of hole inwards, job done.

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 14:10 »
Big seeds just get stuck in. Medium seeds in modules. Small seeds scattered thinly in 7 cm pots. To scatter, place seeds on your left hand, curl it up slightly and tap it with your right. The seeds trickle down the heart lines in a controlled way.
Me too. I use the joint lines on my fingers as an inch guide for larger seeds such as sweet corn, beans etc; scatter smaller ones as above or, as I have fingernails, I can also pick up smaller seeds such as brassicas and leeks with them so I can space them in the pot or just sow a few if I don't want a lot; tiny seeds like petunias can be put into a small plastic polybag and mixed with some sand to help distribute them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
going to seed

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 17:31
by DD.

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 38 queries.