Pumpkins about to cause divorce

• 13 Replies

elsiepumpkin

Pumpkins about to cause divorce
« on: April 21, 2014, 20:27 »
I have a house full of tomatoes, pumpkin, cucumber and squash plants. All was fine until I potted them all up for the second time. They're now all in 9inch pots and getting bigger by the day and I've completely run out of room. All the windowsills, the floor in front of the french doors, the cabinet in front of the living room window (can't see TV anymore) and the kitchen table are completely covered. The kids are eating breakfast standing up! My husband says he can't live with them anymore and I have to take them down to the polytunnel on the lottie tomorrow. Temperatures don't look too bad for Bristol at the moment but even so it feels too early to me. He says it's him or the pumpkins. What should I do? I am very fond of the pumpkins...

bravemurphy

Re: Pumpkins about to cause divorce
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 21:06 »
Got to be the pumpkins for me sorry  ;)

It wont be long and they can go out.

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 21:13 »
Definitely the pumpkins - you cannot eat your husband.  ::)

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 21:29 »
I would keep the tomatoes, and only one or two nice ones of the pumpkins and squash.

Then replant pumpkins, squash and cucumber 2-3 weeks before you are going to plant them outside.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 23:35 »
I dont think there should be any problem putting them in pt or gh i have lots of plants in there and they are fine, i do have a parrafin heater in there though :D ;)
diggity dig dig

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:48 »
I will be the voice of reason. Take them out and give the kids a table and your husband some room.
The plants will be fine, it should take over your house to that extent or cause rows.  ;) Your husband of course can help you carry them all.  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 07:48 »
Pumpkins are easily replaced - husbands, not so  ::)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 07:56 »
Take some down to the polytunnel but find room for your best specimens at home. My tomatoes have survived in the greenhouse, mainly unheated, for a while and look fine. Cucumbers are probably the most sensitive.

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 08:28 »
Why not buy a cheap paraffin heater and section off a bit of the pt? If the forecast show <5 degrees then light the heater overnight. My toms are in need of planting out in the gh now so I'll try this approach. I've actually had courgette and french bean plants in a covered container for the last two weeks. It got down to 1 degree in there and the're looking fine. The forecast looks pretty mild for the next week so they should be ok. If your still concerned about the pumpkins, then move your husband/kids into the pt :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 09:13 »
Hopefully there is some room for negotiation  :unsure: - the cukes would almost certainly be the first to register their disapproval of colder conditions  ::), and I suggest that if some of your toms are of the same variety you hedge your bets by keeping some at home, and taking the others to the PT.

The larger your PT the better, as a big one heats up and cools down more slowly than a little-un, but hopefully you will get away with it anyway unless there are some really cold nights yet to come.

A negotiating point with your OH could well be the promise that next year you will sow everything a month later so all the re-potting and growing on can be done outside the house.  ;)

Good luck!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

elsiepumpkin

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:28 »
You are all voices of reason. I will take most of them down to the PT and keep the fleece and the bubble wrap handy.
I'll keep some at home in case of disaster. I have way more than I need anyway due to my inability to only pot up what I need rather than everything than germinates!

Jackypam

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 14:05 »
You are being very reasonable, but if you are prepared to be so very obliging, don't forget the negotiating advantage that you are creating.... Be a shame to waste it, there must be some arguement that you really want to win  :D

barley

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 20:21 »
you could always move out to the poly tunnel with your beloved pumpkins and co - leave them at home to fend for themselves  :lol:

they'll soon want you and your pumpkins back  ;)

bigben

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 13:00 »
I sympathise - most of mine are now in the greenhouse or Pt as I was shouting at kids for shutting curtains and knocking off my plants! I am sure they should be able to sleep with curtains open:)

xx
pumpkins pumkins and more pumpkins

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 23:30
by Flowertot
xx
Pumpkins, pumpkins and more squahses

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 10:32
by WG.
xx
Pumpkins... so many!

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 16:23
by mumofstig
xx
pumpkins

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 21:33
by Missy1970

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 40 queries.