Diatom - good or bad

• 8 Replies

Stewart P

Diatom - good or bad
« on: April 21, 2014, 00:42 »
Most of what I've read recommends diatom as a red-mite preventative so i dusted the coop today (perhaps a little early but it has been very mild). I've also heard that diatom should be avoided because the dust is so fine that it can be an irritant to the birds. Would value some opinions

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Diatom - good or bad
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:17 »
I have recently head (after buying a load) that it is a waste of time, doesn't work on anything but as a mineral supplement and is dangerous if inhaled. From a vet apparently. :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:42 »
the best way to use it is as a slurry - type in Hillfooters slurry in the search box and it should come up.
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:57 »
Most of what I've read recommends diatom as a red-mite preventative so i dusted the coop today (perhaps a little early but it has been very mild). I've also heard that diatom should be avoided because the dust is so fine that it can be an irritant to the birds. Would value some opinions

I had red mite in the coop and after i had got rid of it (dettol) i dusted with diatom and they did not show again in years so IMO it works !

As for the dust being an irritant , not compared to red mite.

Anyone who tells you hens do not like fine dust has never kept hens ! :lol:

splash101

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:17 »
I painted the nooks and crannies with the slurry and it lasts for ages.

When i clean them out, i mix some in the bedding and generally give the whole coop a dusting. If you are dusting the coop, make sure you do it when they wont be going in for a while so the powder can settle.

I also use it in all the nest boxes in our aviaries. Doesnt seem to irritate them, they range from tiny finches to small parrots

Buy it from somewhere reputable. I bought some off ebay once and i'm not convinced it was what it should have been.

I would much rather use it along with other deterrents, than have to deal with a full on attack on red mite.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 09:34 »
I agree with the slurry idea.  Farmers started it in their big henhouses, and they wouldn't do it if it was harmful to the birds.  Although they spray it on, not with a paintbrush like I used to!  :lol:

Being a slurry, once painted on, it dries on the perches etc and does last for ages.  Looks a bit like something out of Great Expectations, but hey ho, if it helps keep the redmite out.........

Stewart P

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 09:49 »
Thanks all for these helpful comments.  I take home the message that diatom is good and best applied as a slurry with a paintbrush which is good advice as it was a bit of a faff trying to dust it into the nooks and crannies as a dry powder by hand.

hen addict

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 10:15 »
Just my opinion but Its brilliant, never had any issues with it dry or wet, I dust my birds with it dry using a soft paint brush every week, put it in the dust bath and mix with the floor and nest box material. I don't get mites, lice, or the dreaded red mite. I've never had any respiratory problems with it in my birds. Is it dusty yes, but that's a good thing as any lurking bugs get coated,but after saying that I have very good ventilation in my sheds and coops.
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 13:28 »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention about adding it to their dust baths!  that's good too!  They love dust!   ;) ;)

Certain dusts are not good, like dusty straw etc, as it can lead to respiratory infections.

xx
diatom and others?

Started by chocchicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 15:38
by chocchicken
xx
Diatom

Started by weedo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 20:17
by Foxy
xx
How to use diatom.

Started by pennsylvania planters on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 12:02
by colliebird
xx
diatom

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 17:07
by Chuckles

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 39 queries.