cover up ideas please

• 5 Replies

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
cover up ideas please
« on: April 14, 2014, 17:34 »
Hi we took down some fence panels last year and there is conifers the other side which on our side are brown and have not grown back, what shrubs could we plant to help hide the conifers and will will not mind the dry soil around the conifers, we cant afford to put a new fence up so thats out the window  ::)
many thanks
SK
Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go
(whistles)
Hi ho, Hi ho, Hi ho

gobs

Re: cover up ideas please
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 20:20 »
By the conifer hedge I have fruit bushes, viburnum, bay tree, honeysuckle, vinca, jasmine and a yellow flowered (very early in the year) bush, whose name I forgot. :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Asherweef

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 21:21 »
What about the reed/heather/willow screens that you can buy from B&M etc?

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 13:27 »
Conifers have quite shallow but matted roots, so planting near them may take a bit of digging out of roots to create decent-sized planting holes. As the conifers are dead on your side, hopefully their roots won't grow back much. As for shrubs, and not knowing your soil type, drainage or what sun the border gets, you need what I call "good doers" to give you as much chance as possible to achieve what you want. My suggestions are: the green and white varieties of Euonymus (not the dwarf ones) as they can be trained to grow upwards if supported by something. Berberis darwinii has dark green leaves and, if it gets enough sun, has orange flowers in spring. Escallonia varieties, especially the one with reddish flowers (?Donards seedling) which flower in summer, and perhaps honeysuckle and clematis. All the shrubs I mentioned are evergreen that will hide the conifers, they have leaves that should contrast nicely with each other and the background, can be easily kept in check by pruning so they don't overgrow outwards which will then help them to grow upwards, should be reasonably inexpensive and the last two flower at different times of the year for all round interest. Both honeysuckles and clematis will flower at different times of the year depending on their variety. I would dig in well-rotted manure, compost (including mushroom) all over the area to improve your soil texture and water retention. Make your planting holes twice as big as the plant's pot is and add more of your compost to the bottom of the hole, then add a good sprinkle of bonemeal to both the hole and soil backfill. Don't over-tread on the soil as you plant. Give the plant a jolly good douse of water, then repeat every few days even if you have rain so it can really get established.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 15:10 »

You could spray paint the brown bits green!  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 17:58 »

You could spray paint the brown bits green!  Cheers,   Tony.

SK

xx
Ground cover ideas

Started by Flowertot on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 13:46
by Flowertot
xx
To cover or not?

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post December 03, 2020, 23:46
by Stewarty
xx
Ground cover

Started by greetwellboy on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 05:27
by greetwellboy
xx
cover plants

Started by samuria on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2020, 11:39
by samuria

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.