I can't weigh it up.

• 10 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

I can't weigh it up.
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:23 »
Every year this seems to happen to me:
When my tommy seedlings get to about three weeks old, the seed leaves on quite a few die off. The seedlings usually survive and make decent plants. I just wonder why it happens. Any clues?

Another bit of totally unrelated info:
When I sowed my seed, about three weeks ago, I did one seed in the cold GH, just to experiment. Well, it's miles behind the others, but it's poking it's nose out this morning. I wonder if you could do all tommys like this? Just set them off 3 weeks earlier than normal. I imagine it should produce very hardy seedlings.

Lardman

Re: I can't weigh it up.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:39 »
When my tommy seedlings get to about three weeks old, the seed leaves on quite a few die off. The seedlings usually survive and make decent plants. I just wonder why it happens. Any clues?

It perfectly normal the plant sheds the cotyledons as the normal leaves provide what is needed for the plant after germination.  http://www.ehow.co.uk/about_6376961_cotyledon-tomato-plant-falling-off_.html

When I sowed my seed, about three weeks ago, I did one seed in the cold GH, just to experiment. Well, it's miles behind the others, but it's poking it's nose out this morning. I wonder if you could do all tommys like this? Just set them off 3 weeks earlier than normal. I imagine it should produce very hardy seedlings.

You need a reasonable temperature for the seeds to germinate and for the plants to grow. But yes if you can keep good light levels and an even temperature ~10deg then you will get nice stocky, robust plants.  The problem with an unheated GH is keep things constant, temperatures in there this time of year can easily swing 40degs.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 19:20 »
Well, it looks like I shall be buying in this year. I've lavished more attention on my seedlings than ever this year, and the results are pants in the extreme. As a last ditch, I've taken them out of the seed compost/loam/vermiculite mix and potted them into some straight Jacks Magic mpc which I bought in to use for their final potting.. They are sulking big time and it looks like they wont recover. I am off for a vessel and to sit and tell sad tales.

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 22:14 »
i wouldn't have said it's too late to sow more seeds now or even in a few weeks time. then it will be a lot easier to keep them going strong and healthy as the temperatures will be higher at night and not have such a difference between high and low.

the plants shouldn't be too far behind either, better to have stronger plants but a few weeks late than week and recovering plants that will always be trying to recover.

bear in mind that this time last year most of us were still having constant ground frost. the sunny days make it seem that summers here when night temps are far from summer.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:32 »
Well, it looks like I shall be buying in this year. I've lavished more attention on my seedlings than ever this year, and the results are pants in the extreme. As a last ditch, I've taken them out of the seed compost/loam/vermiculite mix and potted them into some straight Jacks Magic mpc which I bought in to use for their final potting.. They are sulking big time and it looks like they wont recover. I am off for a vessel and to sit and tell sad tales.
Seedlings don't need much in the way of nutrients - do you think this is why they are sulking? Try sowing some more - they may be behind bought-in ones, but you might spread the harvest time?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 16:20 »
I'm sure you don't have to be sad - it was your amazing tomato plants that inspired how I grow mine this year ;)

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 19:09 »
I'm sure you don't have to be sad - it was your amazing tomato plants that inspired how I grow mine this year ;)
Why thankyou barmy devonian person.
Quite a few of my plants last year set off like these this year, but pulled around and cropped really heavilly, so there's hope yet. My neighbours look miles better than mine, but they looked better last year as well, and his crop was pants. Work that one out.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 16:06 »
You have worked it out already - you know better! :D

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 09:20 »
You have worked it out already - you know better! :D

I tyhought I knew better, but apparently I don't! At least 75% have given it up altogether now. Time to throw out and try again. It must be the seed, or the potting mix, or some sort of infection.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 18:39 »
B*gger :(

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 18:34 »
Saved by the bell.

cash and carry near me selling Shirleys at 39p each. About a foot high and sturdy as they come.  :D

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 39 queries.