Successional sowing

• 16 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Successional sowing
« on: April 01, 2014, 18:45 »
This is something I want to try and get right this year to minimise gluts! However I never know how far apart to do things. For example:

Lettuce - I have 12 plants at the moment just getting their first set of true leaves (sown about 10 days ago). When should I sow my next batch?

Peas - I did my first row this weekend and have 2 more rows I want to sow - again, how long should I leave it?

Beetroot - not sown any yet but this is something else I think I should be doing successionally.

Anything else I can't immediately think of and should be spread out!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Successional sowing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 19:01 »
Lettuce is easy with this simple regime:

A small pinch in a pot.

Once big enough to handle, transplant into seed tray, (I do 15 in a large tray). At the same time sow another pinch of seed.

Grow the first lot on until they have at least 2 pairs of true leaves, then plant out. Then transplant your second lot of seed into the now empty seed tray and sow a third pinch.

Keep repeating the process and without having to think about it, you're assured of a succession of lettuce rather than a glut and a packet lasts years!

Peas:

I sow the lot in one go, all quite early. It gets it over with and helps avoid the pea moth which you get with later sowings if you sow sucessionally.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 19:41 »
Ok, I might try your lettuce method DD seeing as how all your other tips have worked for me! I sowed directly into modules and thinned 1 to a module at the moment but your method sounds easier....

Ans as you are the pea king I will sow my other 2 rows of peas at the weekend

gobs

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 20:56 »
Radish, khol-rabi (the little ones). Some grow cauli or beetroot all year round, we are hooked on broccoli. You can get 3 lots of them easily a season. Carrots I also like to sow 3 times - when I get round to - early and late finger carrots with the mains. Broad bean can be sown just about all year round.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 22:12 »
Peas usually need about 3 weeks before sowing the next lot. Wait until the first lot have emerged and have expanded their first leaves and sow the next ones. If it is warm this will be shorter, if it is cold it will be longer.

Another way to spread things out is by growing different varieties that mature earlier or later. Potatoes are the prime example.

al78

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 23:22 »
I believe some varieties of carrot can be sown every three weeks or so to give a continuous supply from June to October.

You can also sow cut and come again crops like kale and perpetual spinach where you pick what you need and it keeps supplying throughout the year.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 06:24 »
Thanks for the tips! I don't grow carrots as the soil here is far from ideal for them and the amount of work I would have to put in to not get much back isnt worth it - especially when they are so cheap in shops. I may also try some more broad beans once I buy some more seeds as I love them and my sowing failed this year :(

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 08:06 »
Broad beans are interesting things to try to grow in succession. You can plant the second lot when the first are well advanced only to find that the second lot cheat and start to flower when the plants are quite small so that all produce pods at the same time.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 08:15 »
Peas seem to catch up as well  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 11:49 »
I have tried it a couple of times in the past but found that the later ones soon catch up with the earlier ones when the weather gets warmer. I'm going to leave soing any more brassicas for two months and see how it goes.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

gobs

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 13:42 »
Surely, one can get 2 crops out of them a year. Look in the other thread, they are talking successional runner beans.

Obviously, the weather will have an effect and as Salmo points out variety will also matter, refer to your seed packet for maturity times.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 17:49 »
Ok, so consensus is that successional peas are a no go. I am just trying to minimise the gluts  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 11:01 »
Personally, I'd give it a try. Sow some now, then some more in about 2 months time and see how it goes this year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 11:04 »
The later you sow peas, the more prone they are to pea moth & mildew. That's why I strike once and early!

beesrus

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 17:24 »
Mildew is rarely a wipe out thing for a second pea crop sown in early June. I have never been disappointed. Enviromesh will sort out any pea moth netted over a manageable second crop. Maybe divide one row in half as an experiment to check how your climate suits.
I seem to have problems with late beetroots, so sow just the two crops. March and May, early netting to avoid chomping. But they harvest over such a long time, it feels like succession cropping.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 17:28 by beesrus »

xx
Successional Sowing

Started by Celtic Eagle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2006, 13:43
by Heather_S
xx
Successional sowing!

Started by marcofez on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 16, 2013, 11:35
by Totty
xx
Successional sowing first earlies ?

Started by Robert_S on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 11, 2012, 22:00
by gobs
xx
Successional sowing and rotation

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 01, 2015, 17:02
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 38 queries.