• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
shocking any one else watching channel four
« on: March 25, 2014, 21:46 »
shame on the big egg producers

grinling

Re: shocking any one else watching channel four
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 20:25 »
I don't watch progs like that as there are meat sheds as well as caged egg birds and free range birds locally.
Local planning has a 16 sheds housing over 500,000 birds...worked out at over 35,000 meat birds a shed!!

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:44 »
thats terrible, if you raise a animal for meat you should at least give them a half descent life >:(

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 12:00 »
If you see a frozen in Asda for £2 - they wer thinking 'keep the costs down'.  Just makes me love mine more.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 20:57 »
People want cheap meat, this is the only way, if they give them more room, the price goes up, but they are still better off over here than a lot of asian countries
It's all about the journey, not the destination

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 22:29 »
i know pepsi, but in the uk there are plenty of cows sheep pigs but the price of there meat keeps going up and up where as chicken has gone up but not as much. yes there smaller and take up less space but they cram all meat animals in small spaces no matter how much land they have, feed prices  have gone up esp corn so still a mystery how they can sell them so cheaply?. its a shame people cant have the lifestyles handed on a plate to the generations passed down in a farming family that many of us would like and would do a good job at. some of them take it for granted nothing in life comes for free and def shouldnt because most dont aprecciate it x

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 22:48 »
it is usually the supplier that gives the discount, a supermarket is there to make money, not give discounts

40% of corn grown now goes into Biofuel, ethanol (car fuels) so the growers have a bigger market now, the bio fuel makers are offering better prices than feed producers

Most people have a consience when buying their meat, but some cant afford to be so choosy

I know the meat I buy is from a good source and the animals are well cared for

Not all meat suppliers are bothered about animal welfare

A couple of reasons egg prices went up was, 1, they were given 40% more room (but they are still battery hens) 2, the price of feed has risen, 3, the price of fuel has risen (to get them to the market, slaughterhouse, to the supermarket, the hatching of eggs for both meat and egg producing birds 4, wages have risen (well for some)

All I can say is my birds have a good life, are well fed and seem happy enough, but it comes at a price that I am prepared to pay for

Sparkyrog

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 22:59 »
i know pepsi, but in the uk there are plenty of cows sheep pigs but the price of there meat keeps going up and up where as chicken has gone up but not as much. yes there smaller and take up less space but they cram all meat animals in small spaces no matter how much land they have, feed prices  have gone up esp corn so still a mystery how they can sell them so cheaply?. its a shame people cant have the lifestyles handed on a plate to the generations passed down in a farming family that many of us would like and would do a good job at. some of them take it for granted nothing in life comes for free and def shouldnt because most dont aprecciate it x
Very simple for the last 20 years chicken have not been regarded as sentient beings ! They are regarded as a crop that has to be turned over every so many weeks "what ever the supermarket demands"

I used to grow my own its no longer viable  :(
I cook therefore I grow

pepsi100

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 23:12 »
The way the birds are kept now are called colony's, their life is 72 weeks, then they will go for slaughter and the supermarkets
In the fifties, there were no factory farms, but after rationing, it all changed, the UK wanted more cheap eggs, hence the factory farm was imported from the US
Egg prices in the UK in the fifties were £7.50 a dozen in todays prices, if they didnt have factory farms or colony's eggs would be over £20 a dozen today
There are over 4 billion hens in the UK, producing 850,000 eggs a day, the average family in the UK eats 32.3 chickens a year
Not all are produced by factory farms (my 6-8 eggs a day :nowink:)

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 11:49 »
Food has been subsidised for many years in the UK. In recent years this subsidy has gradually been reduced. In reality a false market was created and we have had no concept of the real value of the price of food. Hence all the complaints now ! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 11:58 »
It is a sobering thought that the egg laying hens short life is six times that of a meat bird ! :(

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 05:42 »
  Here in the US to help keep costs down the big producers are sending broilers to slaughter earlier. I don't know how it is in the UK but the producers here are just a part of a much larger corporation so they can easily move money around to cover the costs.

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 13:45 »
I know I'm late with this but, I've been unemployed, try living on benefit and you buy what you consider the cheapest (what ever) for the quality.

pepsi100

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 14:06 »
Yup, so am I , but I keep chickens and they are happy enough with trheir lives, being on benifit isnt an excuse

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 16:48 »
I have to agree, on a low income it is not easy to be ethical but it can be done, I know I've done it.
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

xx
Someone knows Im watching my cholestorol!

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 10:19
by NormandyMary
sad
Mareks Disease watching

Started by Whitebeam on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 19:19
by joyfull
xx
Just been watching my local news programme

Started by wighty on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 20:40
by babe

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 38 queries.