Rhubarb

• 13 Replies

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
Rhubarb
« on: March 07, 2014, 08:52 »

I know you should really move rhubarb when its dormant ,I have a friend who would like some for his allotment .
     Some is about 2ft tall,but there are some which are just showing. above the ground .
     Would it be ok to divide these now,or would it be best to leave it until later in the year

jondav14

• Experienced Member
Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:10 »
should be ok, but tell him not to pick any this year, and it will take 2/3 of years for a new crown to get established, plenty of compost/well rotted horse poop in the hole first
who pinched me marrow?

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:24 »
Is anyone cropping Rhubarb yet?    I mean from plants outside on the Plot.   Mine do appear to be almost ready to crop.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 12:38 »
Yes,

I had some lovely stewed rhubarb a couple of weeks ago. I inherited the rhubarb and so I don't know the variety, but I assume it must be an early type as my other crowns haven't got any growth yet.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 22:21 »
Two small pickings but it's only me  :)
I cook therefore I grow

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 23:24 »
Yes half of carrier bag full last week, Timperley early very nice too :tongue2: yyyyuummmmmmmmmmmm
diggity dig dig

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:15 »
mine is a bit late this year, I was picking it about this time last year, although there is plenty of growth popping up now, the wife is desperate to make some rhubarb and ginger vodka this year

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:47 »
Very small forced picking the other day, yet to cook.
Kind Regards
Bill

grendel

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 12:37 »
we have one plant of 4 in the front garden with stalks ready to start picking, the others are barely  showing yet.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 19:27 »
mine is a bit late this year, I was picking it about this time last year, although there is plenty of growth popping up now, the wife is desperate to make some rhubarb and ginger vodka this year

this sounds interesting, i do like a good drop of vod.

any chance you could give me the recipe and method, PM me if it's easier.

Steveharford

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 19:31 »
Me too please. Sounds delicious  !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 23:50 »
I can feel a rant coming on  :lol: Theres this one bloke on our site,he asks my friend yesterday if he can take some rhubarb chaddy says yes ok,when chaddy came up this morning this bloke had dug up the whole plant and it was a big plant 8 years old chaddy was frothing  :mad: :mad: :mad: so he says to bloke why you dug it up,blokey says you said i could have some,yes some sticks not the whole plant you **&%$£** :mad:,this bloke goes round peoples plots when he thinks nobody is there and nicks fruit and veg, i got him on video last year nicking next plot holders tayberrys and rasps,he has an empty plot at the moment but always seems to go home with a carrier bag full of veg  nearly every night this past few weeks,now he knows i have planted 5 rows of rasps and 18 rows of strawbs, he keeps coming round to see how they are doing,just let me catch him at harvest time, :mad: :mad: ill give anybody fruit or veg as long as they ask me first it dosent hurt or take much time  to do that does it,i hate thieving its not nice >:( this bloke is putting peoples backs up a bit. rant over, Darren

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 07:52 »
Darren

If you have video proof can you not take it to your allotment association or city council. The rules on my plot are that if anyone is caught taking anything of anyone's plot, even if it's a old overgrown plot the. It's a one strike rule and you're out.

That said there is a gentleman on our allotment who sounds very similar. Plants and fruit go missing, most of the time there is no proof but several people have caught him eating strawberries on their plots when they've arrived but they never seem to take it further. I don't begrudge anyone, anything especially as I have three half plots and am a single home owner (most of my produce goes to friends, family and work colleagues) I grow purely for the enjoyment but taking without asking really gets my back up.

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
rhubarb

Started by ferret1988 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 14:01
by fatcat1955
xx
rhubarb

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 12:07
by DD.
xx
Rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2016, 20:04
by greenjay

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 39 queries.