Building a better pizza.

• 12 Replies

Lardman

Building a better pizza.
« on: June 06, 2013, 20:20 »
My cheese delivery medium (aka pizza) isn't bad now and certainly better than supermarket offerings  :tongue2: ... but it's not as good as it could be.

My dough is tearing whilst Im working with it, some of it is me being clumsy with big fat fingers, but it doesn't seem to have enough elasticity to stretch evenly (if you see what I mean). Im mixing in the breadmaker for 45 mins and then leaving to rise, I've tried various recipes and even type-00 flour.  ::)

I understand this is something to do with the glutens ... but after that I just glaze over.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Building a better pizza.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 20:47 »
Less kneading - I reckon  :dry: 5 - 10 mins should do......
and then a slow rise somewhere cool, or even overnight in the fridge.

grendel

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 21:46 »
my pizza base is the same mix as my bread mix, just a bit extra oil for pizza base, instead of pulling I split a standard 2 1/2 lb bread mix in 3 and roll it out on a well floured board, rolled to a rectangle and put into baking trays, and bobs your uncle.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 22:01 »
my pizza base is the same mix as my bread mix, just a bit extra oil for pizza base, instead of pulling I split a standard 2 1/2 lb bread mix in 3 and roll it out on a well floured board, rolled to a rectangle and put into baking trays, and bobs your uncle.
Grendel
much the same Grendel I let mine rise in the tin
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 22:17 »
I live with an Italian, so we have an abundance of 00 flour. I use 50% less yeast than in bread. And I knead it hard for 20 mins before setting it to rise. Seems to work for us and helps with the old bingo wings too.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 22:51 »
Im looking for a reasonably thin and crispy base but with enough rigidity to maintain structural integrity when you pick up a slice. I use a standard bread mix when I want a deep pan version and let it rise in a 7" cake tin I think they're a little too bready for a summer pizza though.  ::)

I think 45Mins is the shortest mix cycle I can do, would letting it rise and then knocking it back and having a second proving help?

then a slow rise somewhere cool, or even overnight in the fridge.

I tried an overnight rise in the fridge I didn't think it helped much, but I had mucked around with the dough recipe, I might try a back to basics and leave it overnight.   I can see me turning into a pizza before I get this right.  :nowink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 23:11 »
If I want a shorter mix cycle for a dough lardy, I put my bread machine on the dough setting, then put my oven timer on for how ever many minutes I want.  Then I just turn the machine off and get the dough out!

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 06:57 »
Do you let the dough rest a bit before trying to shape it? Also, you can let it rest again for a few minutes if it starts to resist as you shape it.  Just keep letting it rest and go back and shape a bit more. :)

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 09:38 »
I leave it to rest for an hour or 2 after mixing until it's doubled in size, then split it and work into shape.

Recipe.
300g flour
½t fast action yeast
1t salt
25ml E.V. Olive oil
170ml Water
Pinch of Oregano
1t Sugar (I've tried with / without this - it doesn't appear to make and difference  :wacko: )

I like to roll it / sprinkle it with cornmeal when shaped.

Im cooking at 200c on a thin non-sick pizza tray, the ones with holes in.  I've moved to tossing the dough rather than rolling it to get a better, more defined crust but it doesn't want to play ball.

allotmentann

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 18:12 »
Sorry, I wasn't clear.  When you are ready to roll it into a pizza shape, you first make your risen dough into a ball. At that point, leave it to rest (it is called bench rest), only for five minutes or so. When you form it into a ball the gulten tightens, give it five minutes it will relax. Then it will be much easier to roll (or toss if you are being fancy!), if at any point whilst rolling it starts to resist, just leave again for a couple more minutes, then roll some more. Your recipe looks fine. I have been using the 'Artisan Breads in Five Minutes a Day' recipe for dough (no kneading required), the dough keeps in the fridge for at least a week and if I want pizza, naan or pittas  I just pull a chunk off and go. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 19:36 »
Im cooking at 200c on a thin non-sick pizza tray

Your base isn't that bad, is it?  :wacko:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 21:49 »
We invested in one of these a while back:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ferrari+pizza+oven&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=10752072872&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=634952&hvnetw=g&hvrand=752238042518420503&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_97r8q137uq_e

perfect pizzas, happy OH! Being called Ferrari is an additional bonus in his eyes!

(Though we didn't pay nearly that much  :ohmy:)

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 22:05 »
make your risen dough into a ball. At that point, leave it to rest (it is called bench rest), only for five minutes or so.

Ahhh Im with you now  ::) . I've not tried that. I'll give it a gurggle and then a go.

Im cooking at 200c on a thin non-sick pizza tray
Your base isn't that bad, is it?  :wacko:

:nowink: Must have some pizza base stuck under the T key  ::)

xx
Pizza Stones

Started by Yabba on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

30 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 22:44
by Ice
xx
Homemade Pizza

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:44
by mumofstig
xx
pizza bases

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

42 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 19:00
by chrissie B
xx
Pizza base recipe

Started by Mum2mj on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 23:22
by timdunn

Page created in 0.958 seconds with 39 queries.