Hedge reduction...

• 8 Replies

Growster...

Hedge reduction...
« on: January 28, 2013, 13:58 »
The hedge around two sides of 'The Turrets', is now getting far too high, thick, and unmanageable. I cut it three times a year, and it's taking longer every time.

It's about 6' high, and at least 3' deep, and is made up of so many types of plant, I'm somewhat bewildered about what to do, but the plan is to take it back to about 4' high, and a foot or so deep.

We have yew, beech, elm, holly, bay, laurel, Virginia creeper (yes), box, oak, privet and about seven squillion or so other varieties, all beating their way to the top and coming out the sides, and it's time to sort it out!

I actually quite like the job of hedge cutting, but hoisting an electric cutter that high is not exactly good/safe practice, so we're going to trim it to a point as well as reduce it in size.

Anyway, (phew), does the team think this is the right time of year to do this, (soon, during Feb), and if anyone has any tips, or who has tackled a job like this, I'd be very obliged to know how they got on!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Hedge reduction...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 14:18 »
They're doing hedge laying round here now, so I'd say go for it  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 14:30 »
They're doing hedge laying round here now, so I'd say go for it  ;)

We reckon so, Mums, many thanks! It will look pretty bare for some time, but hopefully will be worth it!

BTW, I didn't know the correct term for half-chopping then weaving and layering, is 'Pleaching'! (Found it in the Hawkhurst history book)!

Live and learn don't we..;0)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 14:31 »
Wouldn't like to predict how your Kew-like collection of different hedging plants would cope with a hard prune, but machine-wise you will probably need a serious hedge-cutter rather than hedge trimmer (their claims as to the size of stem they will cut without stripping the gears tend to be a bit optimistic in my experience!)

My 100' garden is surrounded with privet, which will stand almost any amount of hacking about, and I reduced it in height and width the hard way (secateurs and a small saw) - needless to say I did in stages, usually at about this time of year (mainly to avoid the "Agent Orange" look for longer than necessary.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 15:50 »
Wouldn't like to predict how your Kew-like collection of different hedging plants would cope with a hard prune, but machine-wise you will probably need a serious hedge-cutter rather than hedge trimmer (their claims as to the size of stem they will cut without stripping the gears tend to be a bit optimistic in my experience!)

My 100' garden is surrounded with privet, which will stand almost any amount of hacking about, and I reduced it in height and width the hard way (secateurs and a small saw) - needless to say I did in stages, usually at about this time of year (mainly to avoid the "Agent Orange" look for longer than necessary.)

You're right about the Kew it, Jay, and thanks for your observations!

I probably won't be using the hedge trimmer anyway, and will concentrate on loppers, secateurs, and shears!

I'm hoping to find some more enlightened longish stems in there (I'd need a torch at the moment), which I'll be able to weave and tie accordingly!

A few years ago, a huge house near here, had an overgrowing holly and yew hedge, rising about ten ft above a 6 ft wall! They got a pro firm in to tame it, and we all poo-pooed the effort, as it looked a dreadful bare, mess of incoherent choppery!

Now? It's absolutely stunning, well filled out, and beautifully maintained!

The elm is actually very pretty to look at, but with such soft stems, is a bit of a beast to cut - perhaps I should use hair-trimmers...

jezza

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 23:44 »
a good petrol engined hedge cutter with a 1/12"blade gap will reduce y our hedges in no time at all and leave a good finish ,the longest job is cleaning up,if theres alot of heavy sucker growth at the sides a brushcutter will cope with them at ground level (caution dont get to close to the main hedge) jezza

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:49 »
a good petrol engined hedge cutter with a 1/12"blade gap will reduce y our hedges in no time at all and leave a good finish ,the longest job is cleaning up,if theres alot of heavy sucker growth at the sides a brushcutter will cope with them at ground level (caution dont get to close to the main hedge) jezza

We'll be crunching the bits afterwards, Jezza, as they'll make good pathways elsewhere in the garden!

Work hopefully starts tomorrow, so if you hear any bad language, you'll know I'm doing the holly bit..;0)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:30 »
Mr Sunny reduced the height of our metre thick privet hedge late last year, from 8ft to just under 6ft, because cutting the top is now fraught with danger tbh, especailly behind the green house

There is some golden leylandii in it at one point too.

Four things I wanted to tell you Growster:

- a normal hedge cutter was no use the the thicker stems/branches (as others have commented I notice)
- it generated a vast amount of material
- the garden is much lighter and brighter now
 - it is a long job, so don't overdo it each day

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:03 »
Mr Sunny reduced the height of our metre thick privet hedge late last year, from 8ft to just under 6ft, because cutting the top is now fraught with danger tbh, especailly behind the green house

There is some golden leylandii in it at one point too.

Four things I wanted to tell you Growster:

- a normal hedge cutter was no use the the thicker stems/branches (as others have commented I notice)
- it generated a vast amount of material
- the garden is much lighter and brighter now
 - it is a long job, so don't overdo it each day

Many thanks, KC, sound advice there!

I forgot that we also have some leylandii in there as well...

The yew will be the hardest part, as that needs a lot of serious cutting...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:48 by sunshineband »

xx
The Growsters' blasted hedge reduction...

Started by Growster... on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 20:00
by Growster...
xx
New box hedge not doing well ..

Started by rookie1 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 18:11
by sion01
xx
Anyone know what my hedge is?

Started by Ice on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 14:34
by Ice
clip
Hedge help please.

Started by Blackpool rocket on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 10:34
by Blackpool rocket

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.