New Year non-resolutions

• 20 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
New Year non-resolutions
« on: December 31, 2017, 09:34 »
I'm not one for sticking resolutions - they last about 5 minutes usually  ::)  However, this year I'm going at it from a different angle.

I'm not going to try and please everyone all the time.  Work and family included can learn that I am not 'on call' 24/7

I'm not going to worry if my sowing & planting plans go haywire.  Last year they did, so I simplified a lot and just went with the flow and it was fine.  OK I didn't grow everything we needed, but I had lot of crops we eat all the time and we have stores to last through winter. 

On the same note, I'm not pulling anything up on the first sight of it going wrong.  If I don't need the ground, it can stay and see how it does.  I ended up with some real bonus crops last year from stuff that just romped away after a spell of looking wispy and pathetic.

Non-resolutions - its the way to go  ;)  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: New Year non-resolutions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:51 »
I agree that it is all too easy to "make a resolution" and then feel a dwindling interest in maintaining it as the weeks go by

I prefer to look upon them as "aims", which would help me to enjoy life even more by educing stress, and so I aim to:

- be more organised about the greenhouse growing space during the Summer, rather then let the grape vine go wild and reduce light levels so anything else has insufficient light to thrive. If I don't do thins I get a growing sense of doom, and go in there even less

- to delete unwanted or read emails once a day when I can, so I don't end up scrolling through hundreds, wondering what I might have missed/not dealt with.

Not rocket science, but if I can do these things it will reduce brain-buzz a bit

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:36 »

I'm not going to try and please everyone all the time.
Abe once said "you can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all of the time" something I live by.
Good luck with the new year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:55 »
I like that one Aidy realy brought a smile to my face as for new years resolutions well to grow something to put in the local horty show that it actually win a prise  :D

to spend more time down the allotment with a relaxing chair a nice cup of tea then go home and tell my O/H that I've worked so hard on the allotment that  I'm to tired to do the washing up tonight  :D

and the last resolution will be to make the flower garden more interesting for the people who visit on the NGS open day helping us to raise plenty of money for charity for those less fortunate than us

and I'm looking forward to reading many more interesting topics on this site from you all in 2018 do have a very happy new year and good luck for 2018 ;)

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:11 »
I'm going to make more effort this year as the 'New Wilderness' post suggests...

It's mainly because Mrs Growster has kindly let me have all the bits of kit I ever wanted, and it's a shame just to let it all go, and really a necessity at my tender years to keep in gear, and don't let up!

I will put up the shelves in the cloakroom, which I promised two years ago, in fact I have already started, but it's too cold out in the shed to make much more than about nothing...
I will change the petrol in the various machines as instructed, and not hope they'll clear themselves!
I won't grow too many spuds this year - I always buy too many, and for a couple of quid, I'd rather grow more fruit or beans on the ground left spare.

(That's enough resolutions - Ed)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 14:24 »
Um, that's a hard one! Which would I prefer?
1) Using a ruler to measure the precise depth and spacings when sowing seeds or planting plant OR using past experience to use your hands and fingers as a guide and just bung 'em in! It works just as well!
2) Getting yourself totally confused when looking at all the advice for how to grow whatever in what sort of soil and site OR (unless you're growing rice) just try it and, if it don't work, dig it up and put it in another spot!
3) Let your OH tell you what you should have done OR tell him you already did it and it didn't work!
A happy 2018 to you all!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 16:10 »
I am going to learn to say "No', in the nicest possible way.  I have always changed my plans to fit around what other people want or need me to do, but I think now I'm approaching 70 I need to put myself first now and again.  Oh, goodness, I feel selfish for even writing that! 

Christine

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 19:18 »
Other than a bit more weeding, 2018 will be like 2017 .... which was like 2016, 2015 and there backwards ....

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 21:32 »
I am going to learn to say "No', in the nicest possible way.  I have always changed my plans to fit around what other people want or need me to do, but I think now I'm approaching 70 I need to put myself first now and again.  Oh, goodness, I feel selfish for even writing that!

Jay - it happens!

It happens more and more nowadays, and just lay back and enjoy it, because there isn't really much of an alternative, so why not?

You're not selfish! You're Jaydig! One we love!

How many other Jaydigs do I/we know?

None! x.

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 10:11 »
Aww - thanks Growster.  I don't feel so bad now. x

wighty

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 10:57 »
Along with most of you I have also decided that this year is going to be about me and what I want to do hence handing in my notice (two weeks left to work) and then I'm going to do what I want, when I want to and how I want to.  I'm fed up of my phone ringing at all times of the day and night with other peoples problems.  I'm going to let them get on with it and enjoy  myself.  Selfish, nah, just had enough.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 14:43 »
Along with most of you I have also decided that this year is going to be about me and what I want to do hence handing in my notice (two weeks left to work) and then I'm going to do what I want, when I want to and how I want to.  I'm fed up of my phone ringing at all times of the day and night with other peoples problems.  I'm going to let them get on with it and enjoy  myself.  Selfish, nah, just had enough.

Well done you, I hope you’ll be very happy. I took early retirement & have spent the last year relaxing into it, a bit too well at times lol just be careful family & friends don’t ask too much of you!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jaydig

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 16:38 »
Congratulations Wighty, it's a decision I'm sure you'll never regret.
All too often people spend too much of their lives chasing pound notes, and while I appreciate that we all need to know we have enough behind us to live on, it's surprising how little is really needed  to be able to live a nice, if simpler, life.  Life is, after all, for living, something that a lot of people forget, then suddenly realise that the clock can't be turned back, and they have missed out on so much.
Enjoy your freedom  - you've earned it!

wighty

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 17:57 »
Thirteen weeks notice is a long time to have to work! I am a manager of an Adult Social Care service.  I've had enough and the constraints from the Council and Government have done me in.  Thank you for all your support. I'll probably get bored but will look for a 'little' job in one of the cafes on the seafront that's only open for the summer.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 07:09 »
Believe me, Wighty, you just won't ever get bored!

I just have far too much to do now, and have vowed to keep away from all the towns where I used to work, London being the worst one, but even yesterday, I went to get something from T. Wells, and I was out of my tree...

My village has so much to offer, and to give to, and that's the big plan from now on.

As Jay says, chasing pound notes is a mugs game at this time of life.

xx
Reality resolutions or pie-in-the-sky promises

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

22 Replies
Last post December 31, 2021, 09:43
by mumofstig
xx
What a year

Started by Eblana on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post October 29, 2018, 18:05
by rowlandwells
xx
A better new year

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 28, 2023, 07:01
by GraciesGran
xx
A happy New Year to you all.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post January 02, 2024, 15:22
by JayG

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 54 queries.