Hi i'm new to forum and Allotments

• 1 Replies

Zaney

« on: August 10, 2006, 00:27 »
Hello everyone,
first i'll introduce my self, my name is Suzanne, Zaney for short and to friends  :D
ok i have just rented from my local council for my parents, a new Allotment and when i say new i mean brand new lol
Our local council along with age concern have tried a new concept in allotment growing, all the beds are 3ft across, and 12 feet long, all raised beds at wheel chair or waist hight.
all very modern with toilet block and electricity lol and security!
anyway my problem is i am very very keen on getting growing, but have no idea what seeds to start sowing or what needs planting as i have never grown veg before, just flowers and herbs.
Once the initial hardwork is done my parents (both pension age) will take over. I am in essex, close to London so any help in what will seed and grow at this time of year would be so appreciated, also help on where to start like soil preperation too.
thanks for taking the time to read  :D
Zaney
Shoot for the moon - even if you miss, you land among the stars

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 12:46 »
Hi Zaney,
Welcome to the site and the Forum.  You will find us a friendly bunch and more than willing to offer advice and encouragement to anyone willing to listen.
The plot you are on sounds rather plush and a mile from anything I have ever heard about before - toilets on an allotment - isn't that what the compost heap is for?
On the what to grow front - it is getting late in the season.  However, it is not to late to plant some of the quick maturing salad veg like lettuce, spring onions and radish.  You could still plant turnips, Carrots, Japanese Onion (Mature in June following year), Savoy Cabbage or try your hand at growing potatoes in a tub for Christmas - there is another thread on this site all about it I would suggest you read it.
John who started the site has a number of excellent articles on a wide variety of topics including crop rotation, freezing produce etc...  I would also recommend looking at them.
Most of all enjoy your plot and the vegetables you grow from it.
Good luck and hope to see you posting on the site again really soon.
Regards  Rugbymad40
P.S. If you look in my profile and view my personal gallery you can see what my plot looks like.
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

xx
beehives on allotments

Started by karlooben on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 06:12
by karlooben
xx
allotments in cornwall

Started by mandygreenfingers on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2022, 19:20
by New shoot
xx
recommended books on allotments or Veg

Started by philD on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 21:34
by Eddie Spud
xx
Help Keep Allotments Alive & Well Petition

Started by Teen76 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2008, 21:34
by Teen76

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 38 queries.