Rosemary... germination

• 9 Replies

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
Rosemary... germination
« on: February 12, 2007, 22:08 »
Hi All,

I read somewhere that it can be difficult to get Rosemary seeds to germinate? They recommended growing from cuttings.

As I have already bought my Rosemary seeds, I was wondering if anyone had any advice / experience on growing it?
:mrgreen:   GAZ   :mrgreen:

Annie

Rosemary... germination
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 22:14 »
Find someone with a plant and take cuttings!I have never managed from seed,cutting strike very quickly.You can also often find many herbs in garden centres for £1.99 or less which you can turn into loads of cuttings,this may work out cheaper than seeds.

muntjac

Rosemary... germination
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 22:14 »
sow on a high grit seed compost . and good luck ,, if you take rosemary cuttings and use a hormone powder you are more than likely to get a result with every cutting  :)
still alive /............

WG.

Rosemary... germination
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 22:16 »
Hi FatGaz

I got about 15 seedlings from a whole packet of rosemary seeds last year.  Didn't do anything special (seed tray in unheated conservatory).  I daresay that there are ways to up the percentage but I was happy.

Last years seedlings are kept heavily pruned by my consumption of this wonderful herb so I've bought more seed to plant this year.

I plan to plant mid-summer this year in warmer weather to see if I get better results

David

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Rosemary... germination
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 22:18 »
I just poached a few sprigs from my mum's.  Stuck them in the ground and forgot them until I was weeding one day and wondered what the aroma was!  Took me a while to remember what I'd done!  Now a nice bush and ready for clipping and starting afresh.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
Rosemary... germination
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 22:21 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
sow on a high grit seed compost . and good luck  :)

Thanks - Can I buy high grit seed compost, or do I need to mix my own? If so, what sort of grit do I get, and what is the mix ratio?  :oops:

muntjac

Rosemary... germination
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 22:22 »
hit it hard in the winter and then it will sprout lovly new sprigs and become even yummier as mine does . summer is the tie to dry it for storing  when the oils ae going full strength .i cut a branch off n just hang it up on the washing line to blow dry on warm days ,dont let it get rained on or mould develops , store in a airtight dark plastic container  :wink:

muntjac

Rosemary... germination
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 22:24 »
normal seed compost ,n just a couple good handfulls of bird grit . any pet shop wil sell you all you need  £0.60p lb

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Rosemary... germination
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 22:41 »
Quote from: "FatGaz"
Hi All,

I read somewhere that it can be difficult to get Rosemary seeds to germinate? They recommended growing from cuttings.

As I have already bought my Rosemary seeds, I was wondering if anyone had any advice / experience on growing it?

You could try scarification it might help, easy way to do this is put onto a piece of fine sand paper and rub them round a bit to take off some of the outer layer of seed coat. In some plants the seed coat is naturally thick to only allow germination to take after certain event have taken place, like frost, rain etc.

Hope it helps
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Flower

Rosemary... germination
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 23:08 »
Tie a big bunch of rosemary under the hot tap of your bath. Water goes pink and smells devine. Good rinse for dark hair too.

xx
Germination of Rosemary seeds

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 19:42
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Sage and Rosemary germination times

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 13:43
by al78
xx
Rosemary

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 17:37
by FatGaz
xx
Rosemary

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 12:38
by JayG

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 38 queries.