raspberries or brambles??

• 10 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« on: April 26, 2007, 08:17 »
I was on the plot last night and the neglected plot next to mine was getting 'viewed' and is going to be taken over by a teenage boy and his mum ,so great, but when the steward was shoing them around she comented on all the brambles on their plot and said " I think those are raspberries not blackberries" I asked how she knew and she said the leaves are lighter.

I am puzzled I inspected them quite closely and they look like brambles to me, very spikey, growing all over the place,  they do have quite pale leaves like my sprouting rasps, but that said so do my  young currant bushes so I figured the are just young shoots.

So the question is how do you tell? If they are rasps I would like to salvage some for our plot before they clear it. I did a google but oculdn't find an answer.

Thanks
L.xx

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:04 »
Blackberries arch over and re-root themselves from the tips of the arched over branches.  Raspberries send suckers up from the roots.

So walk through the area - if you are continually stumbling over trip-wires then the plants are blackberries.  

If the old branches are all up right and brittle (woody - even if in leaf again this year) then they're raspberries.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:17 »
sals right, if they are brambles they will have thick thorny 'briars' that loop or run along the ground,

raps will all appear to have grown as if from a single seed, due to the underground runners, and the old ones will be upright 'canes'
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

ruffmesiter_69

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:17 »
the colour of the stems are black if they are brambles, raspberries will be green or light brown

CJ

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 14:26 »
Do let us know what the outcome is as this little "mystery" is very intriguing.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 15:39 »
Quote from: "ruffmesiter_69"
the colour of the stems are black if they are brambles, raspberries will be green or light brown

The stems of our bramles aren't black until they are very old, but I do know that the stems of rasps are VERY light green

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 16:07 »
I will have  closer look when next on plot!
They looked very much to me like the looped all over with dark stems, but I will look closer in hope!!

Oh and anyone who was interested in my previous post, the latest on my mystery veg (from said steward) was "Oh that's horse radish"
I really was too afraid to cook and eat it.. blummin glad I didn't now if it is horse radish!

WG.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 16:22 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Oh and anyone who was interested in my previous post, the latest on my mystery veg (from said steward) was "Oh that's horse radish"
I really was too afraid to cook and eat it.. blummin glad I didn't now if it is horse radish!

What this? http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=518 Looks nothing like a horseradish leaf to me.   I'm growing it for the first time so haven't seen a complete root - always thought they were much thinner.

The thong I planted was the thickness of a pencil - can't imagine anyone wearing a thong the size of your veggie LL.

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 19:42 »
YEs WG that's the one... maybe it is a yam then, poor old Iris ( site Steward) I don't really think she's all there!! LOL

Maybe I will eat it.. I keep changing my mind! LOL It does smell a bit 'rooty' slight parsnip-but-not- smell . but TBH I am not that fond of yams annyway if my memory serves. (I Love sweet pots though)

WG.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 19:44 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
YEs WG that's the one... maybe it is a yam then, poor old Iris ( site Steward) I don't really think she's all there!! LOL

Maybe I will eat it.. I keep changing my mind! LOL It does smell a bit 'rooty' slight parsnip-but-not- smell . but TBH I am not that fond of yams annyway if my memory serves. (I Love sweet pots though)

Try grating some on a cheese grater.  If it is horseradish, you'll be running about looking for the Optrex in no time flat.

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 08:10 »
Well after close examination there seems to be both!
I am convinced I have dug up some rasps, although it is quite difficult to tell as some of the brambles go straight up too, but they seem alot more thorny and the ones I suspect to be rasps have few thorns on the cane that goes straight up, and is about 3/4 meter high (Although a new shoot from the bottom of one is COVERED in  fine black thorns)
So I am walking around digging up as many 'suspects' as I can find to plant out again in a few weeks once I have zapped the plot. I hope they don't mind too much, I will manure them well before going back, and keep them happy in a pot untill them.

WG the 'horsradish was't I don't think but I still didn't eat it!!!  :lol:

L.x

xx
brambles

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 07, 2011, 15:35
by sunshineband
xx
brambles

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 19:45
by missycat
xx
getting rid of brambles

Started by jjlittle on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 21:07
by jjlittle
xx
brambles

Started by lochnesslass on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 10:10
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 39 queries.