diatom slurry

• 8 Replies

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
diatom slurry
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:51 »
I have a wee question about making diatom into a slurry mixture,   i thought the whole point of diatom was that the powder inits dry form was what broke down the outer shells of the redmite,  how does it do this when the diatom is made into a slurry, painted on and left to dry into the wood,   i did a wee clean out in the coop this morning and realised it was way too dusty in there for the girls, i think i went a bit mad last night and i know its not good for them having dust floating about everywhere.   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: diatom slurry
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 13:07 »
I first heard about the slurry mixture from an article in Poultry World Nicky.  the farmer concerned said that the dry powder when puffed onto walls etc, only lasted a few weeks before it fell off onto the floor, but when he mixed it to a slurry with water, once it had dried, it stayed put for about 3 months.  Then as the mites walk over it, it still gets em!!  It breaks down their hard exo-skeleton or whatever its called, which is what protects them from a lot of other stuff

Mixing it with water doesn't seem to alter the effectiveness of the diatom at all.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 17:39 »
thanks hun for that,   ive just been out and swept out as much dust as i could and sprayed poultry shield until wot was left of the diatom turned into a slurry lol,  will paint it on the next time i clean out, ive read hillfooter advising it anyhow, i didnt really imagine the amount of dust in there!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: nickyx

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:03 »
thanks hun for that,   ive just been out and swept out as much dust as i could and sprayed poultry shield until wot was left of the diatom turned into a slurry lol,  will paint it on the next time i clean out, ive read hillfooter advising it anyhow, i didnt really imagine the amount of dust in there!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: nickyx

Hi Nicky,

Add the DE to a dilute disinfectant base (note powder to liquid, I use Vanodine V18 an iodine based disinfectant much iused in poiltry houses) with a dash of fairy liquid or other detergent so it wets well.  Mix to a thin batter and paint it on all the perches and into the corners. It still is very drying which is the main reason RM can't live in it.
HF
Truth through science.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 12:50 »
ive just applied my diatom slurry, now that was fun painting it in the coop, think i got more on me than anything ???    My coop looks like a right state now lol lol but definately brillant than puffing in dust everywhere    nickyx

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 20:37 »
How exactually do i mix up the slurry ie quanties of each thing etc and does Poultry shield count as disinfectant?

Sorry this has most probably been answered loads in the past but i can't find a recipe

thanks
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 21:19 »
How exactually do i mix up the slurry ie quanties of each thing etc and does Poultry shield count as disinfectant?

Sorry this has most probably been answered loads in the past but i can't find a recipe

thanks

I don't weigh it out I simply start by putting some dilute disinfectant in a large yogurt pot leaving space to add the powder.  I use Vanodine V18 diluted to the surface disinfection rate.  Add a squeeze of washing up liquid for wetting (not too much, half a teaspoon is fine) then slowly add the Diatom powder mixing as you go to form a smooth thin batter consistancy which paints well.  Paint on the roosts and into corners where you get RM.  The Vanodine disinfects and isn't deactivated by dirt.

Poultry Shield is really a detergent which has disinfecting properties (as all detergents do in fact) so you can use it though it has no disinfecting action once dry.   In fact PS is an expensive way to clean your house.  Cheap washing up liquid diluted with a slurp of household disinfectant is equally good at much lower cost.  Better to use Vanodine though as it retains it's disinfecting properties when dry.  It's based on iodine and is the disinfectant of choice for pigeon lofts and poultry houses.

Best wishes
HF
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 21:21 by hillfooter »

retribution

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 12:05 »
Poultry sheild OMG what a cleaner, was sorting out thecoop today to carry out the diatom slurry mix and the perches which i couldnever get spot less, so i tried PS and wiped them down after and shazzammm all gone. Anyhow i am sure Hill footer andsaid about this slurry then is sitting in his chair laughing and all the mess he is getting us into, god my kitchen is now hello (v18) and i look like i have been artexing a ceiling. hopefully i have done it right. Thanks again hill footer for the advise even if i will have the wife gunning for me later over the kitchen.

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 13:19 »
Poultry sheild OMG what a cleaner, was sorting out thecoop today to carry out the diatom slurry mix and the perches which i couldnever get spot less, so i tried PS and wiped them down after and shazzammm all gone. Anyhow i am sure Hill footer andsaid about this slurry then is sitting in his chair laughing and all the mess he is getting us into, god my kitchen is now hello (v18) and i look like i have been artexing a ceiling. hopefully i have done it right. Thanks again hill footer for the advise even if i will have the wife gunning for me later over the kitchen.

:lol: :lol: Well I've never done it in the kitchen :wub:  I usually use a power spray to clean the perches.  When you come to clean next time just scrape the perches and try not to rub it off too much so there's only a small amount of touch up, if any to do.

HF

xx
diatom slurry...

Started by debs2910 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 11:24
by joyfull
xx
Hillfooters Diatom Slurry

Started by Anndee on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 18:22
by arugula
xx
Poultry shield or virkon s? Diatom slurry

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 17:35
by mohs.ayaz
xx
SLURRY ??

Started by della25 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 08:59
by Sassy

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.