Stainless steel spade.

• 2 Replies

allot2learn

Stainless steel spade.
« on: July 13, 2012, 19:00 »
Went in my local S****bury's today and picked up a SS spade for £6.  :tongue2:

OK, it's got a glassfibre handle which I'm not keen on as I can usually demolish them in next to no time but I can get a replacement hardwood handle for a fiver locally so I think It's still a pretty good buy.

I seem to spend more time trying to scrape the clay off the spade than digging.

Trillium

Re: Stainless steel spade.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 13:20 »
A few years back, stainless steel spades were the gardening rage here and most centres had them for sale. I got a few at the season end clearance. And while I've had a few years to use them, I must admit that they are not my favourite. I much prefer the basic old carbon steel or whatever it is they use.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Stainless steel spade.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 19:45 »
Best thing about stainless steel spades (and forks) is that they don't rust, but they're nowhere near as "non-stick" as many people hope for, although if you don't like cleaning up after you that's probably OK.

Stainless steel is more expensive than mild steel, and I have to admit that a SS spade and fork set I bought for a friend who is by no means really into digging didn't stand up to even relatively simple tasks (there are bargains out there but rarely do you get a lot more than what you paid for.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
100mm stainless / brass M6 bolts

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 20:19
by Lardman
xx
S/Steel

Started by slow_worm on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 18:18
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Steel in the field

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 22:57
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Rust prevention for carbon steel tools?

Started by DanielCoffey on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2023, 14:08
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.