White Lady runner bean seed rot.

• 26 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
White Lady runner bean seed rot.
« on: May 24, 2012, 10:34 »
Hi all, have a problem with my White Lady runner bean seeds rotting in their pots, the other varieties are OK - any suggestions, they are in JI seed compost, 2 to a 3" pot indoors in a conservatory.

Thanks for any help.

m1ckz

Re: White Lady runner bean seed rot.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:45 »
hmmmmm,same problem here,,but not in pots,,mine went in the growd 4 plus weeks ago .just 2 came up,,,i put it down to the wet cold weather,,

Willow_Warren

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:50 »
I planted mine inside (unheated conservatory), 1 per pot and had 100% germination! They will be going in the ground at the weekend. Mine were from T&M (only bought them coz they were cheap!)

Never grown them before though so it's all luck!

Hannah :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:03 »
I always chit beans first and have noticed that the germination rate for white beans is less than for the red ones  :(

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:33 »
Interesting,  I wounder if the seeds could be duff, got them off the net (ebay) loads for under £2,  I also bought from T and M - paid an 'arm and a leg' for precisely 45 seeds maybe should try these?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 11:43 »
My Mr. Fothergill's White Lady seeds from last year only chitted at about 70%, and even then I subsequently lost one or two after sowing.

Can't say I've noticed much difference between red and white bean germination in the past, but maybe Mum knows best (or possibly white seeds don't keep as well as red......)  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:45 »
I got my White Lady from Premier Seeds Direct.  had about 95% germination so far, but hoping the others may just be late.

If you have a problem with something like this, it is always worth telling the supplier.  I bought 30 Elsanta strawberries from Marshalls on Special offer, but only got 29.  I wasn't that bothered, except there's a blank in my strawberry tower, but I emailed them to tell them to make sure packing can count!  And they put a 10% discount off my next purchase, if I ever use it.  I don't usually use Marshall's, it was only because  it was a good price for the strawberries!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:49 »
Have had nearly 100% germination from my WL. They're seed from Moles from 2 years ago.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:12 »
OH...... I had poor germination with white lady too. :(

ANd I chitted them first. Glad it isn't just me.

Have just started a second lot. will keep a keen eye on them.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 14:08 »
I also had close to 100% germination from White Lady, which came from Alan Roman's this year but last year I got them from Premier Seeds Direct and had the same good germination then too. I also sow mine in 3" pots, 2 per pot, and I've never pre-chitted anything in my life cos it's way too much hassle :)

Sure you're not getting them too wet or cold?

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 15:02 »
I also had close to 100% germination from White Lady, which came from Alan Roman's this year but last year I got them from Premier Seeds Direct and had the same good germination then too. I also sow mine in 3" pots, 2 per pot, and I've never pre-chitted anything in my life cos it's way too much hassle :)

Too wet n cold could be a prob with mine. :(
 Will be extra careful with the next lot and see.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 15:07 »

not when I'm chitting them, no  ::) :lol:

I saved seeds for White Lady and St George - and the St George were much better ;)
Quite a few of the white ones went mouldy before they chitted, but none of the red seeded oned.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 15:20 »
No change to my sowing technique for many years, other than using paper pots instead of toilet roll tubes.

Don't really know why I chitted them anyway because I've never had any problems sowing in pots........... ::)

I always stagger the sowing of my beans to try to extend the season a little, so am now using "Chitting technique Mk2" which basically means that having soaked them I will put them in a large, loosely-lidded jar, and rinse daily (the ones between damp kitchen paper in a plastic box that didn't germinate went a bit soft and slimy, although didn't actually go mouldy.)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 15:27 »
I did mine as usual in the good old cat litter trays, about 48 to a tray.

Threw them in the unheated greenhouse & left them to get on with it. Ripped them out today and transplanted them.

Spana

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 15:44 »
I've had trouble with White Lady in the past but got 100% germination this year.

I've learnt over the years not to water the pots after the first soak at planting time. Its really hard sometimes when they look so dry but just a whiff of a second watering is the kiss of death.

xx
Help me choose a white runner bean

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2022, 13:29
by JayG
question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
runner bean seed.

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 06:58
by Brassica Blaz
xx
Saving runner bean seed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 00:47
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 40 queries.