mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Aubergines
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 11:32 »
I think that is a very good idea, it keep everyone happy   :lol:

gobs

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 18:17 »

Have you tried to grow them as gh cukes? Cut out the leading shoot, when a good size and use the new branching stems.

No, I haven't tried that...might give it a go this year. Does it help give a bigger crop?

As compared to 'not getting them to fruit', it's worth a try.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 18:54 »
Well patience paid off in the end. After 3 weeks in propagator, there are at least 8 seedlings showing. They take as long as blessed parsnips in the beds outside to germinate

gobs

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 01:42 »
Well patience paid off in the end. After 3 weeks in propagator, there are at least 8 seedlings showing. They take as long as blessed parsnips in the beds outside to germinate

I told you so...

compostqueen

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 09:37 »
I can get them to germinate and grow into gorgeous plants but getting any fruit off them is another matter. For the size of the plants, and their diva natures, I got fed up of the lack of output.  I tried all different varieties as I love aubs, but such poor yields made me decide to call it a day.

More chillies!  :tongue2:

gobs

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 00:06 »
Right you are. I don't even like them, perfectly tasteless stuff, I would call it.

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 15:41 »
I did the best with them the year we moved before I got my new greenhouse, as soon as it warmed up they went outside & stayed out. They were sown in the conservatory & potted on until they were in their final pots, then out they went. Just can't remember what size pots they went in, so since I've got 8 germinated this year I think I'll try 4 in flower buckets the same as I do my toms & 4 in some tall but smaller pots that I usually do chilli's in.
Gobs, I can't agree with you on them being tasteless, havea go at aubergine parmigiana, that might make you change your mind 😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 21:22 »
Like most veg, the ones you grow yourself have more flavour.

OBO.jpg

gobs

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 00:22 »
I did the best with them the year we moved before I got my new greenhouse, as soon as it warmed up they went outside & stayed out. They were sown in the conservatory & potted on until they were in their final pots, then out they went. Just can't remember what size pots they went in, so since I've got 8 germinated this year I think I'll try 4 in flower buckets the same as I do my toms & 4 in some tall but smaller pots that I usually do chilli's in.
Gobs, I can't agree with you on them being tasteless, havea go at aubergine parmigiana, that might make you change your mind 😊

As said, everybody has their own tastes and likes and dislikes. I've tried on many varieties of them years ago, Parmigiana probably was not amongst them(as it sounds unfamiliar), so I might give that one a try, too, next year. ;)

I also do find most cucurbits completely tasteless and I have the feeling most would agree with me, as they just are...

Ruffage

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 08:24 »
Off topic, I know - but...
gobs: I also do find most cucurbits completely tasteless and I have the feeling most would agree with me

I certainly don't find them tasteless, I and other forum members, wouldn't grow so many if we did  :lol:

gobs: As said, everybody has their own tastes
applies to everything we eat doesn't it?

snowdrops

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 20:41 »

As said, everybody has their own tastes and likes and dislikes. I've tried on many varieties of them years ago, Parmigiana probably was not amongst them(as it sounds unfamiliar), so I might give that one a try, too, next year. ;)

I also do find most cucurbits completely tasteless and I have the feeling most would agree with me, as they just are...

Ruffage

Sorry should have explained parmigiana is a recipe for them not a variety😄, sorry for not being clear
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 20:41 by snowdrops »

gobs

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 01:18 »
Off topic, I know - but...
gobs: I also do find most cucurbits completely tasteless and I have the feeling most would agree with me

I certainly don't find them tasteless, I and other forum members, wouldn't grow so many if we did  :lol:

I don't think so.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=125845.msg1475752#msg1475752

Are we having a debate on the cucumber having more flavour than a tomato? I can't see why...

gobs

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2017, 01:22 »
Sorry should have explained parmigiana is a recipe for them not a variety😄, sorry for not being clear

Yes, of course, we can put them full of cheese and garlic and etc. However, the point was there own taste by themselves.

snowdrops

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 08:50 »

Yes, of course, we can put them full of cheese and garlic and etc. However, the point was there own taste by themselves.

Yes but I really like aubergines with or without ' them being full of cheese & garlica nd etc'. I was suggesting a way that you might find them palatable, but tbh I'm not really bothered whether you eat them or not😊

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 09:30 »
As this thread now seems to be a disagreement over which veg are good to eat and which aren't ( obviously a matter of personal choice  :D) I'll lock it.

xx
Aubergines

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 09, 2010, 19:07
by realfood
xx
Aubergines

Started by badger28 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 21:12
by Stratts
xx
aubergines

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 16:11
by chrissie B
xx
Aubergines....

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 09:02
by shedgirl

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 40 queries.