Pickling Onions - How to grow and varieties

• 14 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Pickling Onions - How to grow and varieties
« on: September 24, 2010, 09:47 »
I use about 10Kg per season I usually purchase them and they appear to be grown in Germany.  Can they be grown on my allotment, if so what are the growing conditions if different from normal onions.  Are they grown from seed or sets or both?  Can anyone suggest a variety?  What is the growing calender?

A lot of questions! any answers would be appreciated.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Pickling Onions - How to grow and varieties
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:54 »
Shallots are often used as pickling onions, easy enough to grow and they can be popped in earlier than onion sets. February is often considered the normal.

I also grow Paris Silverskin onions for pickling. Seed sown in a drill straight acros the plot in April, great little onions come August.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:02 »
Thanks DD - do grow shallots,  I was thinking of the small rounded types about an inch or so in diameter - are they 'normal' onions harvested early or what.

regards.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:11 »
No, you can get seed that only grow to that size, Paris Silverskin is one.

Here's a couple more:

http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/pickling-onion-seeds-cid421.html?gclid=CMvQxoDcn6QCFYGX2AodQE1s5w

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 12:26 »
Thanks DD had a look at Marshall's, I take it you can only grow them from seed not sets?  are they grown widely in the UK?  The reason I ask is the ones you buy for pickling come from Germany.  Do you start the seed indoors and transplant or sow directly on the plot, - do you need cloche cover.  I personally never had  success in growing onions from seed - do you need to sow early say February.  Its like your peas you need a knack which I don't posses.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 12:41 »
The only onions I've ever grown sucessfully from seed, were the Paris Silverskin ones,  I cannot seem to grow the big ones! They are selling nets of pickling onions in the shops around here and they are UK produce.

I've never seen sets for small pickling onions, and I suspect such a thing does not exist.

As I said, sown April, direct into the ground, no thinning, no cloches, found they gently push each other to one side as they grow.

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 12:49 »
Thanks DD, I will try sowing seed in April.

CZ Silhouette

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 13:17 »
Here is another type. Will be trying these myself next year.

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Vegetable+Seeds/Onion+Brown+Pickling+SY+300+Seeds+173160.htm
MY BACKS ACHING!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!

bigben

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 14:17 »
This year I bought more onion sets than I had space for so after planting about 450 normally and giving a bag away I popped the other bag of sturon with just an inch or so between them.  They only filled a square yard or so and grew to about shallot size. I have pickled them, they taste ok - I like them strong. Growing from seed would have been cheaper but as I was going to chuck the extra set there was nothing wasted.

Alec_Macpherson

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 14:31 »
I had some six dozen individual shallot bulbs planted, but for some reason less than 25% survived... so my plans for pickling have been put on hold, and I'll be having a lot of onion pies this winter.

Just to get it clear about what others are saying about silverskins... these can be grown directly from seed in one season, and grow as individual onions?  Is that right?

Tra-la-la-li-la.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 14:40 »
Yes.

Alec_Macpherson

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 14:42 »
Great.  I'll try this next year.

Also, I note I am unable to reply to topics in the Growing Tips forum.  Is this 'cos I haven't reached a requisite number of posts?

I was going to say what a great idea growing leeks in kitty litter trays was!  And ask if this could be extended to silverskins.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 14:49 »
There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to reply, it's not a locked thread and it's only PM's that are restricted for new members.

I suppose you could grow silverskins like that, but there really is no need. They grow fine straight in the soil and if you're thinking about climate, onions don't like it too hot.

Alec_Macpherson

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 14:55 »
Nah, I definitely cannot reply... but I've got the information I need.

I'm in the process of setting-up an allotment association, so it will be harsh ground any seeds are going into next year... I'd prefer to have grown them up in pure compost so to make weeding easier.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 15:02 »
Ah. Sorry, was forgetting it was a locked forum that was created from exisiting useful threads that had replies on them before they were imported into there.

It just appears as a normal forum when I'm in there!

xx
Onions for pickling

Started by Silkworm on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 15:10
by Muls
xx
pickling onions

Started by lottiegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 10:16
by Salmo
xx
pickling onions

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 17:46
by DD.
xx
Pickling Onions

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 17:49
by Parsnip

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 39 queries.