Pumpkins & squash

• 11 Replies

jcbuz1970

Pumpkins & squash
« on: December 05, 2017, 17:19 »
Hi all,
Watched Monty on GW a little while ago growing his pumpkins vertically up tall stakes, 3 tied at the top like a wigwam.
Anyone else do this with pumpkins or squash or do you just let them roam and spread ?
What are the pro's and con's for each, if any ?

Dev

• Experienced Member
Re: Pumpkins & squash
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 18:50 »
I let mine roam. If you're growing pumpkins I think they will weigh too much for any framework. You might get away with it for smaller squash, such as Uchiki Kuri. If you have the space I think its best to let them roam.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 19:52 »
I grow Tromba d'Albenga and Sweet Lightning up tripods/frames, and agree it is best to let the bigger ones roam.

Though, if you are short of ground space you can train them round and round in a circle, using short pieces of cane to hold them in place.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 21:11 »
we had a real whopper of a pumpkin just let it run free also many more not so large but worth growing always grow them to run free

my O/H also grew butternut squash in a new razed bed and they to turned out very good still using all I do is give them plenty of manure when planting

don't think I'm going to try wigwams quite happy with them running free  :D

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:19 »
Definitely let the pumkpins roam! I bury the odd leaf junction in the soil so the  plant throws down more roots; Bigger and more pumkpins :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:44 »
I have very little space, so I grow courgettes and squash vertically.  Courgettes (Black Forest) are usually tied into canes, and the squash (Uchiki Kuri) is usually grown on a trellis to give me some shade for the deck.  It looks amazing, and the flowers have a wonderful scent.  It keeps them off the ground, so they don't tend to be 'munched', they're easier to see, and I can hand pollinate if need be.
I wouldn't grow anything bigger unless I could tie it to something substantial - a good gust of wind and the canes can snap.  Apart from that, the only issue I've had is being presented with a huge 'marrow' when the courgette went AWOL over the garden fence into next door.  :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

jcbuz1970

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:33 »
Auntiemogs i also am going to struggle with space next year so the reason for the question.
I was considering building some sort of structure over my rhubarb bed (see pic) but that would end up being quite large and i'm not sure if i have the skills required for this  :wacko:
An alternative is to do something over the shed decking, as Auntie says a bit of shade would be good on the hottest of days.

IMG_0254[1].jpg

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 09:07 »
I have grown various butternuts, Turks Turban squashes and Thelma Sanders squashes up frames very successfully, leaving the fruits just to hang.  Our site is very windy though so positioning is key, plus you need to remember they will cast quite a solid shadow so consider what will best grow there. The weights of the fruit varied but a few of the heavier ones were over 3kg. A very secure structure is needed for these kind of varieties. I even grew a 4.2 kg North Georgia Candy Roaster on the side of an arch this year ... bigger varieties generally have massive foliage though, so might not be suitable in all situations

Smaller ones like Winter Festival and Buffy Ball are perfect growing over structures and their stems can be tucked in when in the way

Hope that helps a bit
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:15 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

madcat

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:06 »
I have fences about 4 foot tall and 10foot long, with stakes at the end and sheeps wire fencing in between, braced with a long cane/pole across the top. They are lined up with the prevailing wind direction, and the bed is topped up with manure each season and then covered tightly with cheap weed fabric. Plant through it, each plant with a watering bottle next to it, three to a fence.   I grow turks turban, Uchiki Kuri, butternut and other winter squashes, cucumber (lemon and long), courgette and even by mistake marrow this year, up the fences.  Not mega pumpkins. You have to show the fence to the plant to start with, but once they grab hold they go for it.  Clean fruit, saves space, easy weed control.  At the end of the season, squashes to store, plants on the compost and the by now somewhat shredded fabric in the bin, and let the birds do some pest control.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 13:24 »
That sounds perfick, Madcat  :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 14:31 »
Auntiemogs i also am going to struggle with space next year so the reason for the question.
I was considering building some sort of structure over my rhubarb bed (see pic) but that would end up being quite large and i'm not sure if i have the skills required for this  :wacko:
An alternative is to do something over the shed decking, as Auntie says a bit of shade would be good on the hottest of days.
It does look nice, but the bed in the centre may be difficult to access (and wind could be a potential issue, depending on the supports used)?
I'd be tempted to put them in the easiest spot for watering.  I've done quite well with growing them in large trugs, either tied in to a trellis or trained up an obelisk (for lighter things like courgettes/cues).  :)

jcbuz1970

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 15:12 »
Auntiemogs
The "bed" in the centre isn't a bed, it's a drain that belongs to the council and i have to keep clear for emergency access, not that it's been accessed in years but you never know.
My Mrs was just going to lay latts over the top and have flowers in pots, or herbs or something to disguise it.
Definately thinking of growing pumpkins\squashes vertically, just not sure where yet.
More thinking to do i reckon. Cheers all for you advice though.
I'll put some pics up when i've decided and got it built.

xx
When to cut squash and pumpkins

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 08:56
by bigben
xx
Restricting pumpkins/squash

Started by jb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 06:34
by DD.
xx
Is it too late for squash and pumpkins?

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:07
by Kristen
xx
Squash & pumpkins up a wigwam

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 24, 2011, 09:22
by stompy

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 40 queries.