Any 1 used this type of polytunnel

• 6 Replies

growvege

Any 1 used this type of polytunnel
« on: July 09, 2012, 00:36 »
http://www.feelgooduk.net/90-20ft-polytunnel-garden-greenhouse.html

Can't aford the type of polytunnel that first tunnel make, or make my own due to disabilities.

any 1 use this type of polytunnnel, i do realise that it will need a lot of securing due to wind. 

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Any 1 used this type of polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:03 »
Yes, I bought one last autumn and am using it for the first time this year. On the whole I'm very pleased with it, it's a good big growing space and for the money it's very good value. The frame is very good and sturdy. Mine's stood through some very high winds and all I've done is put a continuous row of bricks all round the bottom of the cover on all sides.

The cover is not so sturdy, though I've been very glad of the opening vents down the sides on the rare occasions we've had hot weather. The actual fabric of the cover is fine so far, the problem is the zip doorway - when the cover is stretched over the frame there's so much pressure on that zip when you open and close it that the fabric very quickly started to split away from the zip. I've put gaffer tape all down the zip on both sides of the door and so far that's holding it, but that is a weak point. When you put the cover on for the first time, it's worth spending time to arrange it to minimise the pressure at the door. You can buy a replacement cover for them, but I note the price of the covers has gone up quite a bit since I bought my tunnel last year. When my cover needs replacing I might look at keeping the frame but covering it with standard plastic sheeting rather than another of those covers, if I can just work out how to do the door.

My tunnel is identical to the one in your link, but I bought it from ebay. They're still for sale there, and for less money than in your link - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-3m-Polytunnel-Greenhouse-Poly-Tunnel-Pollytunnel-Galvanised-Frame-/160789609237?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Structures_Fencing_CV&hash=item256fcebb15

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:15 »
These tunnels are really good value for money as long as you secure them. I am currently using two. The fit of the covers varies, I have the same problem as Shokky on one, but the other is just fine. The ones with the galvanized frame are stronger than the white framed ones. And I dug down a foot all round and buried the cover. Weighting down with bricks does not work on our site! Someones tunnel was on my plot the other day! Upside down and in pieces! There is a great company called Spirafix who make fantastic ground anchors (they will also custom make them for you) and the frames have been anchored using these, as well as dug in. I think that even if you had to replace the cover every year it would still work out much cheaper than a 'proper' polytunnel (even with those, a cover would only be expected to last between five and ten years!). I have also used mini greenhouses inside these and was able to start off seeds very early in the year. The double plastic covers making them warm enough for even pretty tender plants. I took a look at a number of polytunnels on the site first and discovered that many were held together with tape (where birds etc had ripped through the plastic) and that nearly all had warped, badly fitting doors, for the extra cost of a proper one this did not seem worth it to me. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 08:49 »
I had one and by the 2nd year the clear panes between the green cords in the cover started to drop out :(
I had the original non-galvanised frame which was damaged in high winds....but cannot comment on the galvanised ones, which do look a bit stronger.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 09:12 »
The fit of the covers varies, I have the same problem as Shokky on one, but the other is just fine.
I had a feeling that might be the problem. When I first bought the tunnel I complained to the vendor and he sent me another cover, so at least I've got my first replacement :)

I have also used mini greenhouses inside these and was able to start off seeds very early in the year. The double plastic covers making them warm enough for even pretty tender plants.
I put fleece on water pipe cloches and didn't find that helped very much, so I was looking for another cloche idea for this year. I wonder if I could use bubblewrap as a cloche cover. First Tunnels do some very good little plastic cloches for beds, but sadly their sizes are a bit weird. The beds in my tunnel are a pretty standard 4' X 8' and none of their cloches fit that size.

growvege

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:22 »
Thank you guys for the good info ;)   :D

growvege

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 21:52 »
the 20 foot will be to big for my garden unless i want to get rid of my 7 ft  5 ft greenhouse.
So we have decided to get the 4m by 2m  , 13.8 ft by 6.6 foot.
we have an old green type greenhouse 5ft by 4 ft with the plastic fitings for poles, and me toms seem to be beter in that, but it is old and has blown over the garden twice lol.  the 1s in the proper greenhouse.

So going to order the polytunnel week after next it has galvinised poles that bolt together and storm bars.   Thinking of leveing 1 of my raised beds were it is and shortening the other to be able to put the poly over them, leaveing  5ft by 6ft 6 in the back of polytunnel for pots and smaller raised beds.

xx
What type of polytunnel?

Started by Donnay on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 07:57
by allotmentann
xx
What Type Of Hoe Should I Buy

Started by pookey on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 20:13
by shaun
xx
What type of Rotavator

Started by mikeimp on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 23:19
by Hobnails
xx
which type of fuel ?

Started by bigsprouts on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 22:36
by shaun

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.