Sawdust

• 36 Replies

Griffete

• Experienced Member
Sawdust
« on: November 29, 2012, 20:18 »
Hi there everyone,  I,v just got myself some chickens  :)
I can get sawdust wood chippings for free....i,ve been  told that its dangerous if it has redwood in it......is this true....seems stupid to me as its a natural timber.....i could understand if the timber has been treated.....
Any advice would be great.
here are the chucks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Sawdust
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 21:32 »
not sure about the redwood but you shouldn't use sawdust instead you should use dust extracted shavings.
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 21:33 »
forgot to say congratulations on getting your girls - life will never be the same  :D

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 21:43 »
Hi thanks for congrats.....the shavings are from a dust extractor in a wood yard being all the wast out the machines.... is this the same as  dust extracted  shavings ? or has the dust extracted shaving gone  through a different process.....all the dust taken out the shavings ?  sorry for the stupid questions just want to get it right
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 22:00 by Griffete »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 23:50 »
The dust needs to be extracted as it can cause respiratory problems for birds.  What you have described does not sound suitable.

You can get big bales of shavings from equine supplies at reasonable prices.  There are also lots of other products made from hemp core, miscanthus and rape seed straw which are suitable and possibly more absorbant than shavings.  They will also compost quicker.   ;)

Congratulations on getting your chickens.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 06:58 »
Hemp products definately compost much quicker. Not sure how long redwood shavings would take. Sounds like you have already overcome the dust problem if you do use shavings. And you might not be composting your shavings? Good luck.

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:38 »
Hi, you don't actually say what you want the material for, but all previous posts re dust are spot on. As you're on the Wirral then Charlies are a good source of many chook things (one at Queensferry) with shavings at £7-14 per bag. Looking at your run, and the weather we've had and the forecast :-( can I suggest some 20mm gravel on at least a part? Makes life a lot easier and can be washed/raked. Enjoy your chooks.

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 17:36 »
Thanks for all the help and advice......will pop into Charlies and pick some up.....its for the floor on the run as its a bit wet but as said will put gravel down when i get the chance...thanks again everyone....will get some more pictures when its all sorted out as the run there in is just temporary   

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 19:22 »
as your on the wirral lartons livery at frankby are closer and just as cheap,on the floor of my run i use straw get a bale for 3.50 lasts ages and if you composting wen u clean it up its great on ure heap i just scatter the straw to cover the floor the chooks love rummaging through it

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 20:10 »
That's great advice...... didn't even know lartons even existed........   will try the straw  8)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 20:18 by Griffete »

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 01:22 »
Are you just looking for something for the floor of your run (where it's muddy) or inside the coop where it seems to have a roof so presumably drier?

For the run I would suggest a base that's free-draining.  Something like gravel or sand would work well.  Then on top of that you could put something that the chickens can scratch through like bark or wood chips.  It still needs to be free-draining though, so probably not sawdust that would get wet and compacted and potentially mouldy.  I would have thought straw would get wet and mouldy in an outdoor area too.

Also in the outdoor part think about whether the ground cover will end up getting blown around your garden!

For the indoor part, wood shavings work really well.  It's this indoor area where you need to be especially careful about dust and mould spores.

Whatever you use, by keeping your hens' feet up off the mud, you will find their nests (and therefore their eggs) will stay much cleaner.  Good luck, and please may we see the 'after' pictures when you're done?  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 02:49 »
Not only does the dust get in their lungs, but also into eyes when they flap about and causes discomfort and infections. Been there, done that.

Redwood (aka sequoia) is quite weather resistant like cedar and may contain oils harmful to poultry. No one is willing to test out the theory on their birds.  In North America, the recommended poultry shavings are soft woods that will break down quickly and not retain molds harmful to birds. Some folk I know are now using wood chips for their birds and it's working well so far.

Here's a handy, if lengthy, list on stuff harmful to all birds: LINK 

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 18:30 »
Once again guys thanks for all the help and advice.... will take a few pictures of the new coop its nearly ready......just got to get the nest boxes sorted and put a door on...i was lucky to get a free shed 12 x 8   8) I've ripped it apart and made it in to a coop......the chucks will be out the mud by Saturday and in the new coop

here are a few pictures getting built

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 18:34 by Griffete »

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 16:42 »
Here is a picture of the coop finished........just got to put nest boxes in and perches
 http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu2/fekete_2009/photo9.jpg

ehs284

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 10:32 »
You spoil those chooks :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Great job

xx
sawdust

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 11:04
by grinling
xx
Straw, hay or sawdust

Started by pegasus125 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2019, 07:25
by cressrt
xx
Sawdust/woodshavings... have i got it wrong!!!

Started by Feeb on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 22:58
by Feeb
xx
wood chips / sawdust from chain saw cutting

Started by Geo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 09:36
by Geo

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 40 queries.