Efficient online ordering from supermarkets?

• 16 Replies

DanielCoffey

Efficient online ordering from supermarkets?
« on: February 10, 2016, 22:12 »
Within the next year, we will be moving from a city where we are a mere ten minutes walk from a supermarket to a more rural area where we will be twenty minutes walk from a tiny corner shop.

As a result we intend to use the corner shop for the dairy perishables such as milk and the supermarket online shopping for everything else. We will have the luxury of more storage space so we can easily get cases of store cupboard items such as sugar, tins, kitchen roll etc.

The stumbling block is what I would call the mid-term perishables such as spread and butter.

The supermarkets have a minimum order before they will deliver and a higher order before the delivery charge becomes efficient. At the moment, because we can just walk in and shop whenever we want, we rarely hit even the minimum threshold. This means that I will go in for the milk and think "Ooh, the spread is on special, I'll grab a couple".

I know butter freezes (to a point) but the spreads generally don't.

How do I deal with the things like spread that only keep a few weeks if I am not ready to reorder any of the long-term stuff yet?

DanielCoffey

Re: Efficient online ordering from supermarkets?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 22:18 »
Damn me and my eyes!

Problem solved... "Store in the fridge or freeze for up the three months and then defrost in the fridge." in the tiny green on yellow print on the bottom of the Anchor Spreadable.

Well I have learned something new!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 22:24 »
 :lol: Now you know  ;)

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 22:42 »
Yup - learned something new.

We are currently experimenting with long-life milk (yuk so far!) just in case I don't want to walk to the corner shop in the winter but I am really not impressed with the taste of UHT full fat. Looks like it will be learning to freeze milk then defrost as required (although that negates the homogenisation).

grendel

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 12:28 »
we just keep long life skimmed milk in case we run out of real milk, not as good, but does in an emergency
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 12:43 »
The low fat long life milk certainly tastes better than full fat, but it's better than nothing I suppose.
Full fat doesn't seem to freeze well either, but semi skimmed seems to work ok, if you give it a good shake after thawing it out  :)
Waitrose agrees with me  :lol:
Semi skimmed milk can be frozen. It's best to freeze in smaller quantities (1 or 2 pints) because it can take a long time to thaw out. Once defrosted, shake well before use to ensure the milk is well blended (it can separate during freezing and go watery after thawing).
http://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/food_glossary/milk.html

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 13:35 »
I keep spread in the fridge for weeks. It usually has quite a long " use by" date on it!

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 14:57 »
You might find in a village there is a local farmer with a farm shop who might sell milk direct. Plus you can save food miles too if they have meat, eggs etc. Have a Google to see what's local in the area or ask at the village shop or pub
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 14:57 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

hamstergbert

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 16:58 »
Make the most of the corner shop while it is still there.  If enough people get their main shopping delivered by remote supermarket chains and only support the local shop for two penn'orth of fresh stuff and other perishables it may well be that the corner shop people may simply decide the game aint worth the candle and either reduce opening times or simply cease trading and do something else instead.

A version of that situation is killing a lot of small businesses in the areas rich in second/weekend homes (and holiday homes to some extent) where the weekending people unload their Waitrose bags from the back of the Range Rover on Friday night and then grumble that the local shop doesn't stock much of a range of truffles....
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

chrissie B

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 12:30 »
I use long life semiscimmed from lidl or aldi its 40 somthing for a litre and its nice we started using it when we lived in greece because their milk was so expencive and we dont use all that much , its great we get 6 at a time then when i get down to 2 i get some more and you dont need to store in the fridge till you open it chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

DanielCoffey

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 12:57 »
I have actually been playing with the UHT from Sainsburys... with varying results.

The Delamere Dairy full fat was awful. For one it was actually sourced from Belgium even though the dominant labelling suggested it was British. The UHT taste was excessively strong and actually unpleasant. The separated "cream" on the top left a greasy feel in the mouth. That went straight down the sink (not worth the effort of returning it).

Next we tried the Sainsburys own brand full fat UHT and while the taste was still strong, it wasn't as bad as the Delamere. We found that it was fine in hot drinks or any cold cereal where the cereal had a distinct flavour. It even made good natural yogurt since it was sharp enough to mask the flavour.

The semi-skimmed  was fine and barely had the UHT taste unless you looked for it. It is also one of the ones that does come in the 6-box too. I have not yet found out what sort of yogurt you would get from it but I am ready with the skimmed milk powder to boost the protein a bit.

grinling

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 23:01 »
Milk does not taste the same after freezing and separates with hardly any shelf life. I buy can't believe stuff and that freezes well.
Have you googled dairy deliveries to your new area...you can also do that for veg as well, though  some veg freezes well without precooking.
Try to find out if the local shop does deliveries.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 07:06 »
I have actually been looking at a "long-tail" cargo bike which, apart from during the winter,  would allow me to get to the shops more easily and means I would not have to pay for deliveries.

grinling

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 11:55 »
BIL is looking at an electric bicycle for the 12 mile round trip he does for work & he has suggested an electric trike for his father, who wishes to give up driving but is still very active. You can pedal or let the motor take the strain.

Christine

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 20:29 »
My corner shop is no real use to me as they don't stock vegetarian stuff without eggs never mind anything vegan. If you don't do butter, cheese or eggs forget the corner shop except for bread and papers or a can of fizzy pop.

The secret of ordering from the supermarket is to do a very large shop of all the heavy stuff periodically say once every three/four months (cleaning, loo rolls, pasta, tinned goods and frozen vegetables if required) and use the corner shop for milk and dairy. Do you grow your own vegetables/fruit? That's the main problem with a corner shop.

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 39 queries.