Sprouts

• 5 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Sprouts
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:54 »
My sprouts are getting quite large now. The thing is, there seems tombe an awful lot of foliage. The first signs of actual sprouts are showing, but instead of been tight littler balls, they just seem to be more leaves. Do some of the large main leaves need removing for the sprouts to form properly?

BabbyAnn

Re: Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:50 »
Funnily enough I was looking at my sprouts the other day and thinking they looked amazingly well (always waiting for something to go wrong then) and signs of the sprouts just starting to show.  It may have been due to the several dull days we had this last few weeks (less daylight) that may have triggered the response to start forming the sprouts - normally they start appearing in autumn as these are actually next year's leaves.  I'm not overly worried yet providing they don't grow and then blow before Christmas.

Personally I wouldn't remove the main leaves as these are where the plant gets its energy and that means bigger/healthier sprouts later.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 13:12 »
My sprouts are getting quite large now. The thing is, there seems tombe an awful lot of foliage. The first signs of actual sprouts are showing, but instead of been tight littler balls, they just seem to be more leaves. Do some of the large main leaves need removing for the sprouts to form properly?
my first seasons sprouts "blew" and that was because i didnt firm the plants in well enough.since then i always "heel" them in well and havnt had blown sprouts since.but it may be just early days yet and they might form sprouts but if they dont thats probably why.dont remove any leaves though just leave them to it. :)

Christine

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 14:11 »
Two things that I've found cause sprouts to blow:

1. As said, you haven't firmed them down when you planted them - we've had some windy days here and if they have rocked they may well not form sprouts

2. A sudden change in the warm from cooler to sudden heat also causes blown sprouts.

The first we can control, the second not unfortunately.

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 14:14 »
I have the same issue mine have blown and I definitely heeled them in well!

Can the blown sprouts be used fried off with cabbage, leeks and streaky bacon so they don't get wasted?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 16:32 »
I have the same issue mine have blown and I definitely heeled them in well!

Can the blown sprouts be used fried off with cabbage, leeks and streaky bacon so they don't get wasted?

They are perfectly edible, just not sprout shaped  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
sprouts

Started by Sharon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 20:23
by DD.
xx
sprouts.........

Started by hogchops on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 15:30
by hamstergbert
xx
sprouts

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 12:19
by chrissie B
xx
sprouts

Started by Linexe on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 19:17
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 38 queries.