Wanting to create a fruit patch

• 3 Replies

Hayleynotts

• Experienced Member
Wanting to create a fruit patch
« on: May 25, 2014, 09:19 »
I have a small area approx 10x10ft at the bottom of the garden where I've previously grown spuds and a few beans. I was considering getting a small polytunnel but as it would only be a small polytunnel and I already have a small greenhouse I'm not really sure it would be very beneficial. There's also only 2 of us so the raised beds are probably sufficient.

Then came my light bulb moment.....a fruit patch! I already have a few plants but there in my thin border in between the non edibles. I have visions of nice little rows of gooseberries, currents, etc along with a little strawberry & rhubarb patch. I'm not sure if to bark the hole area or make wooden framed beds just to mark and separate each section.

Any advise or photos would be much appreciated.

Goosegirl

Re: Wanting to create a fruit patch
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:08 »
As fruit bushes can grow quite big, you may only have the room for one of each, plus if you planted them along one side, your strawbs would have to be on the sunny side otherwise they would get shaded by them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Totty

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:22 »
You could grow everything you want in that area. It would mean you have to train and prune the bushes differently than if you wanted standard bushes. I grow gooseberrys as cordons, they take up little room, crop heavily and are easy to pick. If you have a solid wall or fence in the garden, I'd suggest saving more room by growing strawberrys in either hanging baskets, or window boxes. They can be taken down and put in the greenhouse over winter which will give an earlier crop of easy to pick fruit, which will hang down rather than get either splashed by soil or  ruined by pest damage. You could even train a couple of apples or pears as step overs to surround your fruit area, again they would take up little room.

Totty

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 15:43 »
How do you grow gooseberries as cordons Totty? Sounds interesting. I have some plants I put in my fruit cage this winter so still relatively small but I know it will get tight once everything grows full size

xx
Fruit patch

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2017, 22:10
by p6t6
xx
How to create a Brassica Bed?

Started by MattieG on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 07:37
by mumofstig
xx
kamikaze chickens have killed me veg patch? is it too late to move fruit canes

Started by rachelr on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2011, 21:37
by gavinjconway
xx
Totally new and wanting ongoing advice.

Started by The Red Baron on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 09:22
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.