hot chooks

• 7 Replies

SamT

hot chooks
« on: May 23, 2010, 18:26 »
My hens haven't moulted and now its hitting 25degs they getting a bit hot and taking lots of shade and one seems to be panting a little. Apart from making sure they got water, what else can I do to keep them cool

TeaPots

Re: hot chooks
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 19:41 »
Can you make them a sort of shaded area? use a tarp or umbrella? and make sure there is enough ventilation in their coops at night.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:32 »
I was a bit worried yesterday too. 

But providing they've got shade and water, they should be OK.  Animals are quite sensisble.  The dog chose to spend much of yesterday in the cool cellar!

Yesterday, at the hotest time, my girls were noticeably less active, and stayed in the shade.  I did notice perhaps more dust bathing than usual, so wonder if this helped them cool down?

Also, I noticed that Paxo was holding her wings slightly out.  Looked like she had 70's shoulder pads.  I'm assuming this is a cooling thing?  Though non of the others were doing it.  This morning, it's much fresher here, still sunny, but much more comfortable.  Phew!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:14 »
even the guinea fowl were dust bathing yesterday  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

TeaPots

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:35 »
yup...i said goodbye to all my bulbs as we found them scattered all around, with lovely dustbaths in the barrels where they were planted :tongue2: :lol:

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 13:26 »
they'll definatley want some shade, so glad I built my coop on legs which gives them shelter and placed it in the partial shade of a plum tree. I bought a 4m x 5m tarp(blue) with eyelets from B&Q for about a tenner, I'm sure there were other sizes available.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 15:21 »
yup...i said goodbye to all my bulbs as we found them scattered all around, with lovely dustbaths in the barrels where they were planted :tongue2: :lol:

he he he , you were being rather optermistic planting bulbs anyway :D :D :D :D im sure the little darlings have special detectors that tells them the exact location under ground of anything that may grow and make your garden look even slightly attractive.  :D

SamT

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 15:23 »
Yeah 2 of mine holding wings out a bit so must b a cooling method. Their dust bath in the sun so I will make another in the shade too just in case they want to get stuck in. Thanks

clip
New chooks

Started by carl on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 21:11
by grinling
xx
Our chooks have . . . . .

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 12:13
by Knight Family
xx
New chooks.

Started by colinv622 on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 13:44
by brookieme
clip
More new chooks

Started by carl on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 22:57
by carl

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 40 queries.