Scaley Leg

• 7 Replies

Bev

• Experienced Member
Scaley Leg
« on: December 23, 2013, 20:33 »
Hi, I am fairly sure that one of my chickens has Scaley leg starting. One of her legs has gone fat near the bottom and the scales are lifting a little. I have seen some chickens next door that had a bad case of scaley leg and it looks just the same but I would think the early stages of it. Since they all talk through the fence I am sure it could have easily spread to mine. :(

From looking at this forum it seems that most people treat it with Frontline. I rang the vet to see if I could get some but haven't had an answer yet. I also tried going to my local poultry centre and picked up a Scaley leg spray to try.

I am going up to the hen house in a few minutes to try and spray all their legs but wonder what you would advise regarding Frontline, where to get it from? Do they do it for chickens or do you buy a dog or cat one? :unsure:

Happy Christmas to you all and your chickens!

Bev

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Scaley Leg
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 09:01 »
There isn't a Frontline spray for chickens, so you need the vet to prescibe it and it is usually the cat one you are given  :)

People also treat scaly leg by rubbing the legs with vaseline or cooking oil to suffocate the mites  :)

grinling

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 14:55 »
vasaline works, apply it as and when over the next few weeks. It works by suffocating the mites. The scales will be replaced when the bird moults.

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 21:38 »
 ;) Thanks for your advise.

I put some of the spray on and when I looked again in the morning she didn't look too bad. Will spray again tomorrow as it says do every 5-6 days.

If that doesn't clear it up I can get Frontline from our local countrywide store. Does anyone know how much you put on? Does one chicken equal one cat? I have large  hens, one welsummer, two Amber star hybrids. Can you eat the eggs when you treat them with frontline?

Many thanks,

Bev

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 09:18 »
It is not advisable to eat the eggs whilst being treated. I know there is a chicken vet who writes for poultry magazines who does not advocate the use of Frontline for chooks :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 16:02 »
As said, vaseline works well, but it can be difficult to put on and they eat it! Easiest way I've found is to use an oil spray. Ordinary vegetable oil in a plastic spray bottle.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:39 »
I have also heard of good results with Stockholm tar, I don't know if they would eat that it has a very distinctive smell. It would not come off so easily. Available from horsey places :) :)

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 15:14 »
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I have done them 3 times with the spray now. It doesn't look any different to be honest but I think you have to wait for the next moult for the new scales to come through. It doesn't look any worse and chickens don't seem to distressed by having legs sprayed. Even managed to catch one after I let them out when I forgot I needed to spray them!

Bev ;)

xx
scaley leg

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 15:11
by Madrat
xx
Scaley Leg!!!

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 11:47
by hillfooter
xx
Scaley leg

Started by Marrianne on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 03:46
by Tony H
xx
scaley leg

Started by melody on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 09:35
by Tony H

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 39 queries.