Garden Nurseries / Where to buy plants

• 4 Replies

Asherweef

Garden Nurseries / Where to buy plants
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:51 »
Morning all,

I'm well acquainted with the seed-retailers list and this is my preferred option for growing veg & flowers. However, I am wondering how people go about finding a reliable nursery for purchasing plants. I'm from Bolton (so any advice here would be appreciated!) and can only really find garden centres which tend to focus more on other paraphernalia; the plants that they do stock tend to be the typical varieties at much inflated prices.

The reason I ask: anyone watching GW this week will have seen Monty & his bare rooted wallflowers - I would love to be able to find somewhere that could provide me with all-sorts of bits and bobs like that & even more importantly - actually have some sort of passion for the plants…

Alternatively, if you have any favoured websites for purchasing plants I'd be very interested. I tend to purchase my flower seeds from Higgledy Garden, so any alternatives for flower seed would be very well received.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Garden Nurseries / Where to buy plants
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 09:58 »
I've not really any advice re garden centres, but bare root plants, like Monty had, are sold at our local Sunday market.

Do you have a farmers market locally?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 10:23 »
I am wondering how people go about finding a reliable nursery for purchasing plants. I'm from Bolton
I expect Eggleston Hall Gardens is too far - a couple of hours drive North of you, near Darlington, but I do like Malcolm Hockham's instructive YouTubes (beware> very irreverent and non-PC) and the quality of his plants look to be superb.

I'd love to find a proper, old fashioned, nursery near here too :(

bare root plants, like Monty had, are sold at our local Sunday market.

I've not tried mine, and I expect that they do indeed have Wallflowers rolled in newspaper, but I'll eat my hat if they have an All Red variety like Monty had (and which I would love to grow!)

I had a look on eBay and found a cornish gower www.cornishcabbageplants.com who sells "pulled" bareroot plants (no Wallflowers shown on their website, but they did have some on eBay), but only mixed Jewel colours :(

I reckon I'll have to grow my own from seed next year, Seedaholic have a nice selection (bought from them before and been pleased with the service / presentation etc.) :

http://www.seedaholic.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=Erysimum&x=0&y=0&limit=all
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:24 by Kristen »

JDGen

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:43 »
You could try Holden Clough nursery, jointly run by John Foley who was BBC young gardener of the year.  A nice run out from Bolton.

http://www.holdencloughnursery.com/

Noconnection apart from having bought some good quality more unusual variety plants there!

Asherweef

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 19:47 »
You could try Holden Clough nursery, jointly run by John Foley who was BBC young gardener of the year.  A nice run out from Bolton.

http://www.holdencloughnursery.com/

Noconnection apart from having bought some good quality more unusual variety plants there!

Thanks, JDGen, it's a bit of a trek from me (c.1 hour) but we could definitely tie it into a day out. :) Well worth a look.

xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi
xx
Succulent Nurseries in Norfolk

Started by Gardener Girl on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 18:07
by spottymint
xx
lying nurseries? Annuals,Biennials or perennials

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 19:17
by Yorkie
xx
Whats your favourite garden plants?

Started by freyaluck on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 15:24
by Hazel Anne

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 39 queries.