"Scattering seeds in garden"?

• 4 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
"Scattering seeds in garden"?
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:04 »
When we viewed our new house last summer, we noted that we didn't really like the planting in the garden.  We've also had to dog proof all of it, and in the process discovered lots of nettles, brambles, and other weeds which we have removed, as well as much of the planting we really didn't like.

We are south facing, but don't have a greenhouse yet, due to needing to remove some ivy from the area we would like to put it in first.

I was thinking of taking a "scattering" approach to the planting if I can say that?  Will we get results by doing that as we just want a random mix of flowers and colour.  Or do they need to be germinated first properly?  I'm not ure we have the space or place to do this.  The flowers we are looking at are:

Nodding Chives - Allium cemuum
Echinacea - Purple Coneflower
Primula elatior - Oxli
Siberian Chives - Allium nutans
Primula denticulata Ruby
ANTHERICUM LILIAGO  - lily
Verbena hastata rosea
Allium christophii
Achillea - Cerise Queen
Aquilegia leprechaun Gold
Cosmos Sensation Mixed
Schizostylis Mixed Colours
Gazania - Big Kiss - White Flame
Aster - Ostrich Plume Mixed
Brachycome - Iberidifolia Mixed
FUCHSIA MAGELLANIC
Primula vialli Orchid Primrose
Nicotiana - Sensation Mixed
Mesembryanthemum Magic Carpet Mixed
Gerbera Jamesonii Hybrids
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:04 by Paulj »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: "Scattering seeds in garden"?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:14 »
Many of those seeds will be expensive and some will need careful germination in a greenhouse, and potting on to planting size, in order to succeed.

I suggest you choose some hardy annuals for colour this year, as these are much easier to grow without a greenhouse, being sown directly into the ground  ;)

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:10 »
Thanks mum. The expense isn't an issue - I can get them all for about £30 which I thought was good.

So it's either a case of get the ivy sorted and greenhouse put up, or change one of them?

Any idea which of those might be ok to be sown directly in soil?

Also, maybe a novice question, but, some of these seeds come with 2000 seeds others 20, 50, 100 etc. is there a general rule of thumb as to a percentage that are likely to germinate or be wasted?

And happy Mother's Day mum!  Always good advice!

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 13:51 »
Most of the plants you mention need to be properly germinated and cared for in a greenhouse or on a windowsill as mumofstig already mentioned. The cosmos will probably grow if sown direct into the soil but I doubt you will have much success with the other plant species if directly sown. Some need temperature of at least 20 degrees for germination, some have very fine seeds and tiny seedlings for which garden soil is just too coarse and others will probably be eaten by slugs at the seedling stage.

So my advice is the same as mumofstigs, don`t waste the money on the seeds you mentioned if you cannot properly germinate them and grow them on. Buy an annual seed mix which you just sow on prepared soil and wait. It is really easy and you get lots of colour this year.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 14:38 »
I agree with the others - quite a few will survive better if started up properly first. I tried to direct sow a meadow garden and almost nothing took because if the birds didn't steal all the seeds, the ants did, or they washed away in rain.

For sure the allium Christophii is a bulb that needs to be set in the ground or it will rot in rain or dry out in sun. Echinacea, nicotiana and cosmos will germinate better under already established plants, so in your case, you'd be better starting them off or buying small plug plants.

The only ones that will do well as scattered seeds are the chives and aquilegia - I have these everywhere due to self-seeding.

xx
Salvia "Flower Child" and "Rose Queen"

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 09, 2020, 15:15
by mrs bouquet
xx
Update on my "front" garden

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 18:37
by Yabba
xx
Garden "Whirligigs"

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 12:24
by Rangerkris
xx
Snowdrop "seeds"

Started by Janeymiddlewife on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 21:36
by Janeymiddlewife

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 39 queries.