Backsaver autospade

• 18 Replies

Growster...

Re: Backsaver autospade
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 20:35 »
"Once you get the knack they are rather speedy and easy on the back. Worth the investment, just don't be tempted to take huge chunks up at a time you can strain or snap the long spring arm."

Very true Rich. I actually bent one in the middle soon after Mrs G bought it for me, and they replaced the piece free of charge! (Terrex days this).

I also broke the handle bars, and my local ironmongers welded them back together!

The push forward just after you've sunk the blade into the soil is very important, as it loosens the spit enough to break away and get turned over.

The fork attachment is just great, and marvellous for all but the most solid of soil types!

Again, the knack is to do as you say, take a little at a time, and the effort is minimal compared to 'manual' digging; (which I still do of course, as there are plenty of other jobs needing a digging spade...)

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 20:51 »
I have just purchased one from their stand at The Edible Garden Show.
I used it at the weekend for the first time and as the video states.......... Dig a trench first and Dig with the blade at a backward angle but using only a 3-4 inch spit. and let the spade do the work.
This method works!
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 21:19 »
Thanks Growster,I will try again 'cos like you say when used properly it looks loads better + I have got the fork attachment as you mentioned.

One thing to remember Snows, just be carefull when carting it about - say in a wheelbarrow, or carrying it to the patch, as the bits all swing around, and can sometimes give you a nasty surprise, or a whack across the knuckes!

And another tip, loosen/undo the little silver coil spring after each use, as they need to be de-tensioned  to last longer, and they're not cheap, (although I saw one on 'Growsterbay' for a few pounds recently)! The trick is to poke an old knife in and 'twist' it out, but keep your fingers clear, as they might just get in the way... You need to reconnect it again before each use.

Sorry, I seem to be writing a book on this, and no, I don't work for them...;0)

I've just found the original instruction manual, lurking in our forst ever gardening book from the 1970s!

Here are the four pages, I hope they all show up, but by all means PM me if you want any more guidance or help!
Backsaver (Wolf-Terrex) spade 1. (300 x 429).jpg
Backsaver (Wolf-Terrex) spade 2. (300 x 426).jpg
Backsaver (Wolf-Terrex) spade 3. (300 x 428).jpg
Backsaver (Wolf-Terrex) spade 4. (300 x 428).jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 21:41 »
Thanks Growster, I keep it it in shed no2 at the plot cos I have  come a cropper on it as it does have lots of protrusions. Thanks for the instructions,you are very kind & quick. :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Wolf Autospade

Started by Muckywelliesandabadback on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 16:52
by Muckywelliesandabadback
xx
Terrex ver Wolf autospade

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post September 09, 2007, 23:37
by muntjac

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.