Chillies and peppers

• 6 Replies

ally

• Experienced Member
Chillies and peppers
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:31 »
The past few days I have been putting them outside during the day for all round light .... is this wrong?  the leaves are slightly yellow which I believe could be due to a number of reasons, to much water, grumpy from potting on or they are cold.  Should they stay in doors til the GH is warm enough day and night ??
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Totty

Re: Chillies and peppers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:32 »
I'd put em in the greenhouse during the day and bring them in at night.

Totty

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:41 »
Ally - chillies and peppers both need a certain amount of heat so if it is cold do not put them outside. Also if they have been in the compost for 5/6 weeks they could need some feed as the nutrients in compost only lasts for about 5/6 weeks.

Over watering could cause the leaves to go yellow partly because the roots need some air to survive - even if the top of the compost looks dry, underneath it could be wet - what you can do is to gently (so you do not disturb the plant) put your finger into the compost to see how it feels underneath and then decide if you need to water.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:47 »
Ally - chillies and peppers both need a certain amount of heat so if it is cold do not put them outside. Also if they have been in the compost for 5/6 weeks they could need some feed as the nutrients in compost only lasts for about 5/6 weeks.

Over watering could cause the leaves to go yellow partly because the roots need some air to survive - even if the top of the compost looks dry, underneath it could be wet - what you can do is to gently (so you do not disturb the plant) put your finger into the compost to see how it feels underneath and then decide if you need to water.

I had them in a box with the tomatoes when it was windy and it rained while I was out ... they definately dont need any water for the mo.  Have moved them into the GH for the daytime ... with all my seedlings its like a game of musical pots!! some come out others go in! 

Sweetpea C

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:13 »

Mine have been in for a bit longer than this - what should I feed them with please?

Caroline
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 10:27 »

Mine have been in for a bit longer than this - what should I feed them with please?

Caroline

Any tomato feed will do. The attached thread might give you some ideas.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=104379.0

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 17:11 »
Some of my chillies today, having a spell outside
These are gonna be hot, hot, hot  :tongue2:
Ovec.jpg

xx
Chillies and Peppers

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 10:42
by Growster...
xx
Peppers and Chillies

Started by Celtic Eagle on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 09:42
by paintedlady
xx
Chillies/Peppers

Started by afcb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 12, 2018, 10:58
by I Love Spuds
xx
Peppers and chillies

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 10:17
by peapod

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 39 queries.