Would you take on a plot for just a year or two?

• 19 Replies

Mum2mj

Would you take on a plot for just a year or two?
« on: May 10, 2013, 16:22 »
Hi, the allotments I would like won't even put me on the waiting list as its so long! There are vacant plots at one in the other direction - both are a 10 min drive from me & are the closest.   We are hoping to move within 2 years (hopefully nearer my first choice allotment) so obviously further from the 2nd one.  I've not visited yet but there are several plots free (I think) which are overgrown, 'shouldn't' have rubbish on & haven't been vandalised recently..
They have water & a portaloo.

I would love an allotment, I grow veg at home, my time is limited as my children are young & my husband has no interest in growing anything but will build the occasional raised bed for me!
Obviously I have yet to see it, but given that I might have to give it up in a year or two, due to distance (or possibly not depending how life goes) do you think it's worth it??

Beetroot queen

Re: Would you take on a plot for just a year or two?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 16:24 »
Knowing what I know now and how I feel about my plots I wouldn't take on one short term but that is because we have a lot of long term plants and bushes in but that is just my two pence worth. Some seem to empty their plot yearly so in that case I suppose it would be ok.  :wacko:

simonwatson

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 16:32 »
I think to get an overgrown plot into a state of reasonable productivity is a big job. It took me the best part of two years to get my plot the way I wanted it and it wasn't in a bad state when I got it, just a bit overgrown from a single season's neglect. As much as you want it, you'd end up giving it up just as you'd got it the way you want it. Great for the next tenant, but not for you.

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 16:36 »
Personally i would, but im single (which means i have no one else to consider) and love the hard work, you really need to view the plot first i guess, and have the full consent and backing of the other half. and also as Beetroot queen added, only stick to crops that will be done in a season.

if you only get two years worth of lovely crops then its going to be enjoyable eating and a learning curve too.
If however the plot is going to take alot of work to get ready for planting (with a move to consider also) then it may be taking on alot of work that you would feel unhappy about giving up when you eventually move. especially considering that the other (preferred site) you may not be able to get on to. (for a few years at least)

ThePragmatist

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 17:17 »
Perhaps a half plot would be easier to get going with? I got my allotment 2 years ago, and my first year I struggled to get all of it cultivated. I was working by myself with limited time, due to commuting rather than children. I still got things done, but looking back, there would have been no way for me to dig over the whole thing.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 17:23 »
I've only had mine for 4 weeks, and it was overgrown, but I've got half dug & seeded and a number of plants indoors in paper pots waiting to slot through weed sheeting in the other half (not going to attempt digging that half this year).  I only ever get a half hour here and there inbetween taxiing the kids about (even just did a quick ten mins weeding yesterday) so I'd say yes. 

It'll all be a bit 'speedy gardening and cutting corners' this year due to the very late start, but better that than dreaming about it   ::)

wendycas

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 18:27 »
I agree with Simon Watson-it's took us 2 years to get things the way we want on our lotty but we are looking to the long term. I understand your plight though-when it's so hard to get allotments. I guess if you are happy to put lots of work in and then potentially have to start again on another one, why not? As Pigguns said-better to have something than potentially have to wait another few years! You could cover some of it with tarpaulins to keep weeds down and just cultivate what you can.....
Best of luck! :happy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 18:52 »
How likely is the move to happen?

People have given you good things to consider; on the other side of the equation is the point that you might still be in your present house in 5 years' time and wishing you'd taken the step.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

grendel

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 19:47 »
also a plot in the hand is worth many on the waiting list, even after you move you may find the waiting list is several years at the other site, after your 2 years work on the temporary plot you will be positioned with a plot that can be managed with fewer visits, so you should be able to keep it up until you can get one closer to home, I have the equivalent of a whole plot (2 1/2s on two sites a mile apart and a mile from home) yes it would be easier if they were 1 plot on 1 site, but I manage to keep them cultivated and get a decent return in veg and fruit, and year by year it gets easier.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

R6robbo

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 21:34 »
As has been hinted at above, the house moves not set in stone until you
actually commit financially/legally, things can change over a couple of years.
It may never happen.
              If it does go ahead in 2 or 3 years time just think of the valuable experience
you will have gained.
I personally wouldn't decide against it because of something that might happen in
the future, but that's just me.
Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.

After a 3 year wait i finally have my allotment. HELP! (2/10/11)

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 21:57 »
If you think you can get a plot on your '2nd choice' site I say go for it if you really want an allotment!  If they won't even let you put your name down on your 1st choice site because the list is too long then I reckon two years won't make any difference.  You could go for a half plot - thats what we've got - and thats plenty of space. A full plot would be a lot of work on your own with a young family.  I share with two friends, OH's/Hubbies aren't interested except for a bit of building stuff - kids LOVE it though!  As others have said, in the two years or so that pass before you move, you could get a plot up together and wouldn't need to visit so often anyway.  If you don't go for it now and then don't get a plot when you move.... wah!!!!!

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 22:43 »
We did actually take on our plot when we were planning on only being at this address for another couple of years. Since then we've had a rethink and have decided to stay for at least another 5.

We figured that even in a year we'd have fun, grow some stuff, eat it and pickup a whole load of useful hands on knowledge that would be useful when we come to have another plot or sufficient land to have a decent veg patch at home.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 22:46 »
I took on my half plot a year ago, and I don't plan to stay living in the area long-term. It will take most of this year to sort out, but it's great experience, and I'll take my shed, trees and bushes with me when I do go, and more plant knowledge then I ever thought I could cram into my noggn.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 22:49 »
It would give you a chance to get some experience and sort out what you want to do when you get a proper plot later. 

It has taken me a couple of years to decide what makes a good plot, where things should go and what I want grow.

Just don't put perennials in that you can't move, asparagus for instance. Most veg are annuals anyway. 
Anne

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 23:16 »
Would you actually have to give up the plot in a year or two if you took it on?
If you would have to owing to where you moved to then it may not be worthwhile, a half plot might.

The first choice location you are not even on the waiting list for and when they reopen the waiting list how many will likely to have managed to get their names down in advance of you. In effect how far down the new waiting list would you be.

If a move to the new location will not prevent you having a plot at the second choice then until an available plot appears at the first choice you may as well take up the chance.

thumbup
1st Year On The Plot

Started by Mr Dog on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 19:17
by Yorkie
xx
This year my plot ....

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 09, 2018, 08:34
by Christine
xx
Best way to add fertility to plot in year 1

Started by Kelebek on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 14, 2020, 17:40
by Thrutchington
xx
Strange year on the plot

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2021, 12:27
by crh75

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 40 queries.