Treatment for Scaly leg Mite.

• 5 Replies

orchardlady

Treatment for Scaly leg Mite.
« on: May 09, 2011, 20:41 »
I have been given a rather sad hen who is an approx. three year old eyes are brown or similar. She has really bad scaly leg mite and is clearly in pain, with cracks and sore areas and is struggling to walk with ease. I've treated her with Frontline today and painted her legs with liquid paraffin from the horse feed merchant. I have never needed to deal with Scaly Leg Mite before and  I am concerned that (as I understand it) the old scales will not fall off until the next moult and that her legs will remain sore and lumpy. Any help on this clearly debilitating condition would be very gratefully received. What have you found successful?

Orchardlady.

evie2

Re: Treatment for Scaly leg Mite.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 20:50 »
I'm sure I've read somewhere on here Vaseline is useful in scaly leg maybe because it's not water soluble.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

rachelr

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 21:03 »
I used frontline then vaselined for about a week. Some scales peeled off but eventually the legs became less painful and mine walk fine now.

One of mine was in complete agony but she is now absolutely fine. her legs still look horrible but she is fine

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 23:37 »
We slathered vaseline generously over the legs at bedtime, every other day for a week. I think it's supposed to suffocate the mites, so generous is good. 

We found that not only did it deal with the mites, the scales were softened so they came off and the girls looked as though they were wearing pink stockings.  The girls haven't moulted yet, but their legs have hardened off a bit.

Worth treating everone if it's a small coop and small flock - and cleaning out the bedding & scrubbing perches with disinfectant then coating perches etc with DE slurry - just to make it very unwelcoming for the little blighters!
ManicMum

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 00:27 »
The wormer I used for my chickens was Moxidectin - it treats all internal and external parasites including worms, lice and mites.  I understand it has a different active ingredient to the Frontline so both can be used at the same time.

The advice I read was that a systemic treatment like Moxidectin (sold as Cydectin and various other names) would kill off the mites under the scales much better than a topical treatment that can't soak in.  But then you can use a topical treatment like vaseline more like a moisturiser - to keep the scales on the legs a bit supple and comfortable for the poor girl.

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 22:05 »
Well I though I would give you a little update. So I put a few dabs of Frontline under her wing and painted her legs with liquid paraffin the first day. The next day and each day since I've slathered her legs with Sudo Cream. Quite amazingly her legs are starting to look better. There are nice pink areas of skin as the scales fall away, of course there is still a great deal of encrusted scales but I'm quite amazed at the results so far. No scrubbing or picking involved. :)

Orchardlady

question
Scaly leg mite treatment???

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post November 23, 2015, 22:25
by TashaH
xx
scaly leg treatment - egg withdrawal?

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 00:51
by Lindeggs
xx
When is the best time to handle hen for scaly leg treatment?

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 22:39
by Squibbs
xx
scaly leg mite

Started by kittyb on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 21:01
by danmegal

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 35 queries.