Disaster

• 1 Replies

oggy

Disaster
« on: April 02, 2006, 16:02 »
Hi all,

Disaster on the plot  !!

While in a meeting ( at work ) disscusing such things as stock movements per man hour , future predictions, costs, .............how to drive them down,........future expenditure ( how to drive them up ) but little to improve the " job done " and "get it out the door", my mobile  ( can't you leave me alone ) rang, and it's Mrs Oggy..............Mrs Oggy dose not call  !!!   Apologies accepted,...............answered said phone. Mrs Oggy's on the plot and the green house is bieng blown to hell and back. Lorna has already encompased the help of youg Oggy ( Adrian ) and both are trying to keep it in one piece. Mrs Oggy's running comentry proceeds to tell me whats happening !! " The roofs going"  "All the sides are collapsing"  " Adrians here trying to hold it all up" " I'm going to rescue the plants"

As most will know .........in a quiet room both sides of a conversation can be heard..............I can hear myself saying " Are the guy ropes broken"? "is it all coming down"? "Is it laying flat....or is some of it still up"?

Total concentration in the room..........All listening to Mrs Oggy  (  I found out later that most had vissions of a 20 x20 ft Glass house being shattered by the weather and Mrs Oggy defying all........ enters to save what she can!!

In fact our 6x6x4 polythene "greenhouse" was being crushed by the wind.
At apx that night I visit the plot on my way home......alas........said greenhouse is 50 /50 flat and not flat. Pots and seedlings thrown about in abandon.........much woe.

On getting home Mrs Oggy tells me of her day and repeats the events of the disaster...shows me where all the rescued seedling are.....bathroom..bedroom etc ..........my house now looks like yours John!

Now Icome to the piont. We are "newbies" and this will our first growing season. At first..........Mrs Oggy not too keen to have ago. It took me 18 mths to get 1/2 a plot ..and when we visited, what a job we where going to have!!  Accepted the challenge and both set too.

Without the help, enthusiasm  support  and hard work of Mrs Oggy we would not have reached our goal of being ready to plant 01.03.06

B Beans are in, garlic, raddish and rubbarb. Friut line done with raspberry gooseberry and blackberry.

I have always throught that , in each of us humans, the primeval gene to plant and grow is there, Mrs Oggy's reluctance will prove a point. At home that night at appx 21.00 hrsMrs Oggy is so distraugt, not at the loss of a phyical thing - such as a  £20 greenhouse but at the loss of some seedlings ..........those that she had planted , nurtured and seen into life. Lorna's sence of loss was soul destoying  I sat..I saw.... I listened.........I beheld grief.....yes grief at our loss which I did not think possible. We all know the wonder of seeing things grow and self support ....pass it on !!

Needless to say, the next day ( at the crack of dawn ) my promises or repair , and recontruction were put to the test , and yes within 12 hrs, with copious use of steel pipe, cable ties, and tank tape.....we are back in business.

OGGY

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Disaster
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 17:25 »
OUCH!

I hate to say it, but it could have been worse. I've seen glass houses where the door was left open and the wind took them for a trip around the site. Power of the wind.

Sounds like Mrs Oggy has really caught the growing bug -

Glad you're back in business now and let's hope that's it. The March wind did blow, we had snow and maybe April will be OK.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Disaster after disaster this year

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 00:25
by leeky
xx
Pea Disaster

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2006, 14:02
by supersprout
xx
disaster

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 15:47
by Trillium
xx
Oh No! Disaster of not?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 22:40
by hindy

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 38 queries.