Onduline for chicken coop roof

• 10 Replies

jmc1949

Onduline for chicken coop roof
« on: July 22, 2018, 13:29 »
I have a heavy infestation of red mites in the roof of my chicken coop. The roof is plywood with wooden slats pinned to it. No matter how I try I cannot clear the mites as a last resort I could take the slats off and clean them but I was wondering if I would be easier to replace the roof with Onduline. Is it a suitable material to use? If not what would you suggest I use.
Thanks

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Onduline for chicken coop roof
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 19:47 »
I've used it for a coop roof and it is good stuff.  What have you tried so far to clear the mites?

jmc1949

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 10:13 »
I scrub the coop each week with a weak solution washing up liquid and jeyes fluid and use DE in all the nooks and crannies, in the nest box and brush under the slats on the roof as much as I can. I've tried liquid Total Mite killer too. Last Tuesday and yesterday I sulphur bombed the coop and power washed it. I'm just concerned by power washing that I may be spreading the mites far an wide over the allotment as I know red mites live for about 8 months.
The problem seems to be the red mites are getting between the roof plywood and the wooden slats that are attached to it. It was a cheapish coop as I was new to chicken keeping.  The three chickens are dusted as well and they have gone off lay but combs etc look red, so they are not anaemic. I'm feeling quite despondent about the problem.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 11:31 »
It sounds like a replacement roof would be a good idea.  Onduline is far less attractive to mites and offers less places to hide.

I have used Poultry Shield to good effect on mites and  you might find this thread helpful.  I know people have used this diatom slurry and been pleased with the results. 

diatom slurry in The Hen House - Page 1 of 1

Don't feel despondent.  Most poultry keepers have been there with red mite and it does seem endless, but you can and will win.  Keep us informed of how you get on  :)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:52 by New shoot »

jmc1949

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 11:59 »
Thanks New Shoot
The diatom slurry sounds like a good idea. I'll give that a try. I'll also replace the roof with Onduline. Will let you know how I get on.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 13:15 »
When I was first researching the problems with commercial coops the best advise was the onduline roofs. I built my coop from solid wood with said roof and thus far after many years of keeping I have no mite issue.

I have helped others build their coops and again no issues, we have a chap on site who ignored the advise and he has issues!

Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jmc1949

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 13:38 »
Aidy, I think because I was new to chicken keeping, I just went for a reasonably priced ready made coop. I had no problems last year but I think the hot weather has made it ideal for the red mites.  I looked at a thread on this site about red mites and someone made a coop out small blue barrels. I'm looking into replacing the current coop with something similar. I don't think my joinery skills would be up to constructing a wooden one.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 16:22 »
Sounds a plan that. The general idea was to have the least amount of joins etc for them to hide in.

Its also worth mentioning good house keeping too.

This chap paid a small fortune or his coop but  the felt rof that was in effect glued down became un glued over time and that is where the problem was.

I am sure you will crack it and have happy hens again.

grinling

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 22:02 »
red mite tend to come in with wild birds so have a house enclosed with just a pop hole into the run.
I used the slurry and have no mites since.

jmc1949

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 12:24 »
My chicken coop is in an enclosed run though the roof is wire netting and wild birds will have landed on it and the run is only a metre from a hawthorne hedge. Maybe I should have a solid roof on the run too.

Ema

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 16:45 »
over time onduline will sag, particularly if not well supported over big areas, I'd go with a sheet of galvanised. I suspect you have already replaced the roof, I hope the mites have gone

xx
onduline coop roof

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 28, 2020, 11:52
by New shoot
xx
Coop Roof

Started by lamina on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 11:34
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Coop roof

Started by MKD on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 19:49
by grinling
xx
Coop Roof

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 11:31
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 51 queries.