Clipping wings

• 11 Replies

lynsnow

Clipping wings
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:59 »
Hi can anyone tell me how to clip my chickens wings and at what age it should be done please.

Sassy

Re: Clipping wings
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:12 »
Why do you want to clip them? It is sometimes necessary but not always. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:19 »
Here you go, http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2007/09/wing-clipping-clipping-wings-of-chicken.html

I suppose the best answer to when is 'when they start escaping'. :)

It does not bother the hens to have a wing clipped.................until the next time they try to escape ! :D

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 13:22 »
Also, it doesn't always work. I have quite a 'heavy' looking hybrid hen who had a clipped wing (may have grown out now with this year's moult) and for her build she is quite an accomplished flyer and I don't think she would have too much of a problem scaling our fences if she really wanted to.

Luckily there is enough of interest to keep her in our garden when she is out free ranging (well so far anyway!).

Has your hen tried to escape? The other thing to bear in mind is that if their wings are clipped then it would harder for them to attempt to escape from a predator.
Helen

lynsnow

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 20:52 »
My cream legbar nearly scaled the fence on sunday she does seem a bit scatty so i will let her settle a bit longer and if she tries it again clip them. thanks  Lynda

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 08:23 »
If you do clip you will need to remember to do it again when she moults, although usually if the wing clipping works they forget about trying to escape and you may not need to do it again :)

kensington chicks

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:51 »
Hi

Remember also to only clip one wing.  The idea is to unbalance them.

Did one of mine, but it didn't stop her, so I don't bother now.  Six foot fence all around. :)

KC x

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:06 »
It didn't stop one on my Exchequer leghorns either. She managed to get up to a 10 foot crossbar with no discernable effort! Most of my girls now have moulted for the second time and I haven't bothered clipping a wing. So far I've no escapees (famous last words :))

Floss16

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 12:23 »
Hi,  I've clipped my chickens wing for lots of reasons, don't want to lose my two lovely birds, my neighbour also has chickens, and my gardens backs onto a housing estate and don't want to upset neighbours.  I think it is down to individual needs good luck but i'm glad I did it.

tstainesmoore

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 18:39 »
 i personally advise not to clip birds wings, this is becase for example if a predator breaks in they have really 0% of survival or being able to get away.
but if you are worried about them getting out or want them seperate from others  for breeding purposes then if you pull the wing out only on one side and cut the longer feathers half way down, the feathers on the outside. you only do one side so that when they attepmt to fly they are unbalanced, if you clip both then the balance is still there and depending on breed will still be able to fly out of runs etc. the age is every year because new feathers would have grown once moulted.but first when they start jumping out would be a good indication

lynsnow

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 14:33 »
I let my hens out again today and within five minutes Joyce(cream legbar) had flown over the fence nearly got on the summer house roof but slipped and i managed to grab her so its wing clipping for her tonite i dont want next doors dog to eat her. >:(

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 06:58 »
a-ha i now know what iv done wrong i had to clip my one chucks wings as we got her from a farm they were well wild.  :tongue2: she  kept on escaping, so i cliped both wings it didnt work lol she has calmed down now and seems not to be botherd escaping now  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:00 by Tony H »
Chicken crazy

xx
Clipping wings

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 28, 2006, 21:32
by MontyTom
xx
Clipping wings

Started by Sazzle on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 11:35
by jimroden
xx
Clipping of wings

Started by Jonsue on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 14:13
by Porffor
xx
clipping wings

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 20:05
by Bodger

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 40 queries.