A problem with Weed Control Fabric

• 8 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
A problem with Weed Control Fabric
« on: April 25, 2017, 16:51 »
Hi All,

In order to reduce weeding in my onion bed so as not to disturb the onion roots I have used the fabric.  Onion sets planted through holes cut in the fabric.  Fine - no weeds and onions grew well.  But the following year after removal of fabric I find the soil sterile!  devoid of life - no worms or small creatures that help us and the second different crop planted on this soil, potatoes, did not grow well. 

Question:  should weed control fabric be used in this manner - as an aid in cultivation?

Comments please,   

Mike.

arh

Re: A problem with Weed Control Fabric
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 16:55 »
I don't know, but I suspect the problem might not be sterility but an abundance of slugs eating every thing.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 17:38 »
Crops can have good years and bad years - last year wasn't such a good year for potatoes for me, the previous year was much better. So it might be that it wasn't a good year.

Did you fertilise the soil before (and during) while the spuds were in?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 17:59 »
I lift the fabric when I lift the crop, leave it for a few weeks, then gently fork in some compost from the dalek (I also add a few handfuls of cheap chicken manure pellets)  this gives the worms something to work on over winter. Then I recover the bed so the ground stays clean ready for spring cultivation.

No problem with soil sterility here.

Does your plot get waterlogged in winter? as this often leaves the soil sterile when it finally dries out?

madcat

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 18:29 »
We use it to cover the squash bed and plant through it, taking it up when the plants come up at the end of the season.  Compost / manure cover in the winter; fork over and cover with fabric for the next crop when planting out time comes.  No problems with sterility.  I think that MoS is onto something with it being either too wet or too dry under the fabric, plus onions and potatoes are hungry so WhiteWabbit has a point too.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 19:30 »
Thank you all,

The soil under the fabric when removed was 'wet' compared with the rest of the plot and was dug/ manured before planting the spuds.  The soil is clay two spits down but not waterlogged in Winter.  some of the spuds failed to show - never had this problem  before.

Mike.

gobs

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 20:44 »
Clay can look rather a derelict site under weed-control fabrics but by no means is it sterile. There could be a number of other reasons, why your crop was not good.

Not showing potatoes can happen for several reasons, say, someone nicked a few, for example slugs, as mentioned and so on.

The plastic light excluders I would not recommend though for using this way.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 22:51 »
I have recently uncovered beds which have had compost spread over and been covered for most of the winter.  They have appeared very dry and the compost has not been taken done into the soil in the way it usually is by the worms.  I think the thicker plastic covering lets less water through ( but equally keeps out the light better and doesn't disintegrate) so what you get is a less "digested" soil but at least it doesn't have the weeds and the compost can be turned in to the top layer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 07:54 »
They have appeared very dry and the compost has not been taken done into the soil in the way it usually is by the worms

Could be because of the very dry weather we've had so far this year, they stay deep in dry conditions.

xx
Weed control fabric

Started by Chickybaby on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 14:29
by Slowgrind
question
Weed control fabric

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 00:07
by Salmo
xx
Weed control fabric

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2019, 20:19
by mumofstig
xx
Weed control fabric

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 20:17
by jay001

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 40 queries.