Well water

• 19 Replies

Balaton Ben

Well water
« on: May 22, 2007, 21:37 »
I am having a well dug in my garden and the cost is about 25 pounds per metre.  The water table is about 6 metres and it has been suggested the dig goes to 10.  The well sleeving is about 18 pounds per metre...say 430 pounds complete.  Planning permission is not required [I live in Hungary].
Bearing in mind that I have a plot of over 1000 sq metres, the weather is like NY [hot in summer and can be v.cold in winter] and household water is quite expensive and metered,  is this a good move?

WG.

Well water
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 21:43 »
Interesting.  Can't see why you'd go 4m below water table with the well - and surely not with the liner :?:  Wouldn't that defeat the purpose (unless its porous of course)?

Sounds like a nice thing to have though.  Do you have low summer rainfall then?  How do you get the water out?

WG.

Balaton Ben

Well water
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 22:43 »
Thankyou for the weather link. Just a couple of days rain in the last month or so this end [west] of Lake Balaton.  An electric pump will probably do the job and I think you are right about the sleeve.  Will find out more hopefully in a few days.
Regards, Ben

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Well water
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 05:16 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Interesting.  Can't see why you'd go 4m below water table with the well - and surely not with the liner :?:  Wouldn't that defeat the purpose (unless its porous of course)?

Sounds like a nice thing to have though.  Do you have low summer rainfall then?  How do you get the water out?

Would the water not rise through the hole at the bottom of the liner? The liner is surely there to stop the walls collapsing.

"When I were a lad" we lived in a house with a cellar, with just a compacted soil floor. Although a fair distance from the river, when it was in flood the cellar also flooded. The water did not come through the walls of the cellar, but rose through the soil floor. I hope you can see the analogy here.

I also cannot see though why you'd go 4m past the water table. As long as there was enough depth to get a pipe in for the pump, I'd have thought that would have been sufficient. But there again, I have no experience in these matters!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

Well water
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 07:47 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Would the water not rise through the hole at the bottom of the liner?
It would but, unlike your cellar Dorothy, BB wants his well to be full of water so a porous liner would seem desirable.  Lifting water by 6m takes quite a pump.  I'm sure the experts will have it sussed.

What you might want to consider BB, is using the well as a source of heat too.   Water from that depth will be a constant temperature year-round (estimate 11 degs C).  This is a useful temperature as it is & with a heat pump it is a very useful temperature.  All sorts of possible uses for home and/or horticulture.

David.

Well water
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 08:24 »
When excavating below ground water level (which will fluctuate depending on season), the water will rise in the excavation to a higher level know as standing water level (which can be considerably higher than GWL if there is an impervious layer over).

Water should find its own level in a waterproof liner unless you do something like excavate through a layer(s) of gravel into an impervious layer(s) of material below.

I would assume that anyone thinking of making a large investment in a well would have a small borehole made with an auger first.

I described my DIY well 3 days ago in the "Small Pond on Plot?" thread a few posts below this one.

WG.

Well water
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 08:36 »
Quote from: "David."
I described my DIY well 3 days ago in the "Small Pond on Plot?" thread a few posts below this one.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=57247#57247 for those of you who missed it (and threads move a lot quicker than water tables  :wink: )

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Well water
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 12:20 »
On my first plot many years ago I had a well, it was about 5-6 yards deep with a metal sleeve made from old oil drums this went all the way down to stop it collapsing in and the water level used to vary by a good 4' foot or so, summer to winter. I used to pull water by hand all summer.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Well water
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 14:27 »
The water will naturally flow up the tube to the level of the water table, and (unless its an artesian well with the outlet below the water table) will then need pumping. The reason for extending below the level of the water table is a phenomenon called Draw Down. As water is pumped from the well, it is usually pumped at a faster rate that the flow rate through the rock, this leads to a depression of the table at the point of the well, lowering the table level. How fast you can draw of the water, depends on a function called the Hydraulic constant, which is found using an equation called Darcys Law, and takes into account the viscosity of the medium (ie water), the aquifer rocks  porosity (how many holes are in it) and its permeability (how many holes are interconnected that water can flow through).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcys_law

Im guessing that the drilling company asked you how much water you intended to draw off and at what rate, and they have calculated the draw down taking that into account, hence they then specify that the well must be sunk to 4m below the table. If the well only went as far as the current level, then very quickly it would become exhausted.

wow! i knew studying S206 environmental science would come in handy one day! just amazed i remembered it.

Oddly, i was contemplating Darcys Law yesterday, for no apparent reason at all... :?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

David.

Re: Well water
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 20:17 »
Quote from: "Balaton Ben"
have a plot of over 1000 sq metres

I have finally calculated the area of my (& my wifes) plots:

73 poles/1,845 m2/0.46 acre

We have no mains water supply or deep well.

We also assist my elderly, disabled father in law on his 20 poles, who also has no water other than what he can carry there.

So the above costs seem rather expensive for watering what is essentially only 40 poles.

WG.

Well water
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 20:38 »
I understood that a pole was 16.5 feet, i.e. a linear measurement rather than an areal measurement.  How are you relating 73 poles to 1845 sq m please?

David.

Well water
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 22:26 »
Sorry if I've got it wrong, but everyone at my allotment, at the Parish Council, District Council and Church Allotment management surveyors refer to a pole as a square pole when describing allotments.

So 20,049 sq ft = 73.64 pole (SQUARE)

Built up as follows (five plots: 4,5,8,9 &11)

Plots          L   W   Sq Ft
4   49x   170.5ft =   8354.5
5   24.5x   149ft=   3650.5
8   24x   106ft=   2544
9   24x   110ft=   2640
11   26x   110ft=   2860
Total         20049 sq feet

20,049sq feet  X 0.092 (approx 10sq ft/m2) = 1,844.51 m2

WG.

Well water
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 22:36 »
Got you now.  Many thanks for the explanation.

citspeed

well
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 21:36 »
:shock:  wow zak the rabbit im inpressed nice one
http://bentleyallot.proboards101.com this is another forum for alloment holders and gardeners

xx
Water pipes

Started by shay on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 08:10
by oldbean
xx
water butt lid

Started by andyf75 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 16:58
by Annen
xx
rain water

Started by lfcevans on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 12:04
by lfcevans
xx
Managing water

Started by coldandwindy on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post September 01, 2021, 19:09
by grinling

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.