potatoes

• 7 Replies

m1ckz

potatoes
« on: December 04, 2017, 17:21 »
hi all  i think im forced to plant my potatoes in the same place next year      advice ?

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: potatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 00:50 »
Grow some mustard as a green manure in the bed first, it can help deal with wireworms which can be a problem for spuds. Bear in mind that it's a brassica though, so keep  that in mind for your rotation plans.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 08:58 »
If you really have no alternative, is it possible to put the new rows where the gaps between the ridges were last year? That way the new ones won't grow in exactly the same space, although they will be in the same bed.

Manure well and keep your fingers crossed that there are no viruses left from the previous crop  :closedeyes:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:40 »
Be very careful of any missed from the previous year. They can develop into "volunteers" carrying the "B" word!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

martybenji

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 09:45 »
Grow some mustard as a green manure in the bed first, it can help deal with wireworms which can be a problem for spuds. Bear in mind that it's a brassica though, so keep  that in mind for your rotation plans.

I didn't know about mustard helping with wireworm, I haven't grown any spuds for several years because of that problem, I might try again now following your advice.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 13:28 »
Professional spud growers must use the same land every year so see if you can get any info from them and also look at the RHS website.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 20:53 »
I've been involved in growing potatoes for a number of years now when we grew potatoes on the farm we never grew spuds on the same ground twice because it was said that growing potatoes on the same ground encouraged disease and also may have a smaller  crop of spuds

so I always use  crop rotation on the allotment but if you have no alternative then give it a go

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 21:17 »
I know a number of growers in this area who have used the same piece of land for spuds for 6 or 7 years with no obvious  ill effects. Two of them add large amounts of well-rotted manure each year but I don't know what pest control methods they employ. Not saying we should all be doing this but people can get a bit hung up on crop rotation. I can understand the sense of it when growing on a field scale but for a small veg. plot with so many different crops in close association it may not be as critical as some think. I've often wondered how square foot gardeners manage their rotation. I suspect that most soil-borne pests are able to move more than a foot or two in any direction.

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
No dig potatoes

Started by Bob after on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 23:04
by Woolgatherer

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 40 queries.